WoW Classic
Shinnokxz
2019-08-27 01:43:51 UTC
Seems to have taken the streaming world by storm. Lot's of streamers playing it- it's looking good for a possible healthy lifespan. Queue times look crazy on all realms too
Catriona R
2019-08-27 04:03:42 UTC
On Mon, 26 Aug 2019 18:43:51 -0700 (PDT), Shinnokxz
Post by Shinnokxz
Seems to have taken the streaming world by storm. Lot's of streamers playing it- it's looking good for a possible healthy lifespan. Queue times look crazy on all realms too
Yeah I saw Twitch had 1 million watching just before launch, that's
quite some interest! Thankfully my realm wasn't queued, or didn't seem
to be, the login problems probably contributed to that, half the
European servers showed as "low" population the first 2 hours while
many of us were looking at "world server down" messages... by the time
that got sorted a lot had gone to bed, but tomorrow I expect to have
to queue to get in!

Obviously launch was always going to be crazy, the real test will be
how many are still here a few months down the line, but it's certainly
a positive start having this much interest :-)
Lewis
2019-08-27 07:30:18 UTC
Post by Shinnokxz
Seems to have taken the streaming world by storm. Lot's of streamers playing it- it's looking good for a possible healthy lifespan. Queue times look crazy on all realms too
Yeah I saw Twitch had 1 million watching just before launch, that's
quite some interest! Thankfully my realm wasn't queued, or didn't seem
to be, the login problems probably contributed to that, half the
European servers showed as "low" population the first 2 hours while
many of us were looking at "world server down" messages... by the time
that got sorted a lot had gone to bed, but tomorrow I expect to have
to queue to get in!
It's all meaningless right now. It's a shiny squirrel. See what it;'s
like in 3 months, or 6.
Post by Catriona R
Obviously launch was always going to be crazy, the real test will be
how many are still here a few months down the line, but it's certainly
a positive start having this much interest :-)
There are still millions of wow players, so even 1% would overwhelm the
very few sort-of-but-not-really-wow-1.x servers.
Not all who wander are lost
Catriona R
2019-08-28 05:10:54 UTC
Post by Shinnokxz
Seems to have taken the streaming world by storm. Lot's of streamers playing it- it's looking good for a possible healthy lifespan. Queue times look crazy on all realms too
Yeah I saw Twitch had 1 million watching just before launch, that's
quite some interest! Thankfully my realm wasn't queued, or didn't seem
to be, the login problems probably contributed to that, half the
European servers showed as "low" population the first 2 hours while
many of us were looking at "world server down" messages... by the time
that got sorted a lot had gone to bed, but tomorrow I expect to have
to queue to get in!
It's all meaningless right now. It's a shiny squirrel. See what it;'s
like in 3 months, or 6.
Yep, but it's a promising start, anyway. There'll certainly be fewer
people in 6 months, I hope Blizz aren't overdoing adding new servers
so we end up with some with too low population, but there's certain to
be enough to sustain a few servers with healthy populations.
Post by Lewis
Post by Catriona R
Obviously launch was always going to be crazy, the real test will be
how many are still here a few months down the line, but it's certainly
a positive start having this much interest :-)
There are still millions of wow players, so even 1% would overwhelm the
very few sort-of-but-not-really-wow-1.x servers.
It's definitely more than 1% lol, think we're up to 65+ Classic
servers worldwide now as Blizz keep adding more to try and spread the
load a bit. Many are still heavily queued, even with that, I had an 8k
queue tonight, and mine claimed to be "Medium" population (well,
relative to the ones with 25k queues, it is...!).
Lewis
2019-08-28 08:11:21 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Catriona R
Obviously launch was always going to be crazy, the real test will be
how many are still here a few months down the line, but it's certainly
a positive start having this much interest :-)
There are still millions of wow players, so even 1% would overwhelm the
very few sort-of-but-not-really-wow-1.x servers.
It's definitely more than 1% lol, think we're up to 65+ Classic
servers worldwide now as Blizz keep adding more to try and spread the
load a bit. Many are still heavily queued, even with that, I had an 8k
queue tonight, and mine claimed to be "Medium" population (well,
relative to the ones with 25k queues, it is...!).
You might want to check your math. Unless something has changed
dramatically, a single wow server can hold a total of about 4,000
players. Servers are sharded into clusters, If ever server of those 65
was stuffed to the gills (and they are not) that's about a quarter
million.

In reality, Blizzard tries to keep servers at around 1000-1500 users.

Granted, the users online has little to do with the subscriber base, nut
like with gym memberships., most people don't spend more than a few
hours a month, at most, in the game.

It is all very complicated now because the old days were a server
represented a single piece of hardware are long gone. And one physical
machine may be running various shards for multiple servers and no one
server has all of a given realm.

But still, if they have 65 servers they are building out for a peak of
probably around 65,0000 players on at one time.
--
"He raised his hammer defiantly and opened his mouth to say, "Oh, yeah?"
but stopped, because just by his ear he heard a growl. It was quite low
ancient button marked Primal Terror."
Catriona R
2019-08-28 17:45:50 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Catriona R
[...]
You haven't been reading much about Classic then. Blizzard have added
"layering", which is a bit like sharding, but each layer can hold the
population of an entire server, and each server can have many layers
(I know for a fact that mine had 3+ layers on day 1 from communication
with guildies all standing on the same spot and not seeing each
other). There'll be a lot more than 1-1.5k online, my census addon is
seeing 4.5k on Alliance alone, so 5-6k if not more.

Using 5k as a lowball estimate, times 65 servers (there's more than
65, and all except the newest are listed as "Full" since Blizz fixed
the system to mark any queued server as full), that's 325k... but then
remember how many are queued, many with 20k+ queues... minimum 500k,
probably 6-700k, simultaneously trying to play. And of course not
everyone plays at the exact same time, many only have short windows.

In any case, 1% of the most optimistic guess of the current WoW
population would be like 40k... and I suspect there isn't still 4
million playing this far into the expansion!

(Live update as I check EU server list: 35 realms over here, all
except 4 new ones are queued, the 4 are "High" which means not far
away from a queue forming. Mine has an 8k queue again)
Post by Lewis
Granted, the users online has little to do with the subscriber base, nut
like with gym memberships., most people don't spend more than a few
hours a month, at most, in the game.
It is all very complicated now because the old days were a server
represented a single piece of hardware are long gone. And one physical
machine may be running various shards for multiple servers and no one
server has all of a given realm.
But still, if they have 65 servers they are building out for a peak of
probably around 65,0000 players on at one time.
Pretty sure they've said servers used to have around 3k population, so
when they remove the layers, they'll want around 200k for 65 servers,
we'll see how that works out, right now there is WAY more, I suspect
it'll be there or thereabouts a few months down the line, whether it's
dropped a long way below that a year later remains to be seen.
Lewis
2019-08-29 01:43:28 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Catriona R
[...]
Avoiding it as much as possible. I have the various hash tags muted on
twitter and I have not intentionally read anything on Classic.

I know enough to know that it is NOT Wow 1.x, but a weird bastard
amalgam between 1.x and 8.2 running on the 8.2 engine.

But I was talking abot the way Wow servers work in general, and since
the Classic silliness is using the same client and server software, it
has to be pretty much the same setup,
Post by Catriona R
census addon is seeing 4.5k on Alliance alone, so 5-6k if not more.
Census addons haven't been able to provide accurate numbers for many
many years. Blizzard went to great lengths to break them since they were
being used to publish subscriber numbers Blizzard did not want
published.
--
Footnote: The calendar of the Theocracy of Muntab counts down, not up.
No-one knows why, but it might not be a good idea to hang around and
find out.
Catriona R
2019-08-29 15:23:42 UTC
Post by Lewis
You might want to check your math. Unless something has changed
dramatically, a single wow server can hold a total of about 4,000
players. Servers are sharded into clusters, If ever server of those 65
was stuffed to the gills (and they are not) that's about a quarter
million.
In reality, Blizzard tries to keep servers at around 1000-1500 users.
You haven't been reading much about Classic then.
Avoiding it as much as possible. I have the various hash tags muted on
twitter and I have not intentionally read anything on Classic.
I know enough to know that it is NOT Wow 1.x, but a weird bastard
amalgam between 1.x and 8.2 running on the 8.2 engine.
But I was talking abot the way Wow servers work in general, and since
the Classic silliness is using the same client and server software, it
has to be pretty much the same setup,
Right, except your idea of the max number of players on a live server
is outdated.4k as a cap ended when sharding was added in WoD, now the
limit, if there is one at all, is way way higher; I've seen as high as
17k online on my server at expansion launches.

Classic will be using a cap like the old 4k one (maybe higher, who
knows, Blizz never tell exact numbers), but layering means that cap is
*not in effect* right now, and won't be for a few months.
Post by Lewis
Post by Catriona R
census addon is seeing 4.5k on Alliance alone, so 5-6k if not more.
Census addons haven't been able to provide accurate numbers for many
many years. Blizzard went to great lengths to break them since they were
being used to publish subscriber numbers Blizzard did not want
published.
Well if that's true, which I find unlikely, they must *under* report,
unless Blizzard are conveniently adding large numbers of fake players
into /who results, which happen to fit perfectly with the general
pattern of levels, races and classes played by actual players... and
given the queue levels, it's blindingly obvious there are a lot of
players, so why fake even more?

Especially as they clearly only do so on some servers, on live I can
find plenty with 100 or less online... why aren't they faking higher
numbers there then? Oh right, because it's not something that actually
happens outside the imagination of conspiracy theorists...
Lewis
2019-08-29 20:44:16 UTC
Post by Lewis
[...]
Sharding is sharing users across multiple machines into a single
virtualized server. The old concept of "number of servers" is almost
entirely dead except for the issue of name collision.
Post by Catriona R
Classic will be using a cap like the old 4k one (maybe higher, who
knows, Blizz never tell exact numbers), but layering means that cap is
*not in effect* right now, and won't be for a few months.
Layering appears to be a slightly modified sharding so that it doesn't
look like cross-server. Perhaps.

Blizzard is now preventing me from playing until I close a "PLAY CLASSIC
NOW" add that comes up every god damn time.
Post by Catriona R
Well if that's true, which I find unlikely, they must *under* report,
unless Blizzard are conveniently adding large numbers of fake players
into /who results, which happen to fit perfectly with the general
pattern of levels, races and classes played by actual players... and
given the queue levels, it's blindingly obvious there are a lot of
players, so why fake even more?
It is certainly true, but I have long stopped even trying to use /who
because it proves to be useless.
Post by Catriona R
Especially as they clearly only do so on some servers, on live I can
find plenty with 100 or less online... why aren't they faking higher
numbers there then? Oh right, because it's not something that actually
happens outside the imagination of conspiracy theorists...
No, I was playing when they broke Census some time around when they
stopped reporting subscriber numbers.

Right now you can run a /who in stormwind and be surrounded by people
and /who might returns 5 names. Or 900. Who knows?
Yeah, and I never wanted to kick Albert Einstein in the nuts.
Tim Merrigan
2019-08-28 17:56:55 UTC
Post by Lewis
But still, if they have 65 servers they are building out for a peak of
probably around 65,0000 players on at one time.
Is that supposed to be 65,000, or 650,000? I suspect either would be
valid in context.
and to the republic which it established, one nation, from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.
Feel free to use the above variant pledge in your own postings.

Tim Merrigan