Auction House Stupidity - Lower than Vendor Price
Tigero
2009-08-09 04:37:28 UTC
Last night I decided to raise some gold. It was an entire day of
gathering and crafting consumables.

At the end of the session I sent all my items to my mule to place them
in AH. With Auctioneer back up again making auctioning a bit easy it
was smooth. Until a mind freezing discovery,

Some fools followed by fools and also followed by more fools were
putting some items in AH at a price lower than Vendor price. Thank god
for Auctioneer, it gives you an indication if the price I'm putting is
lower than Vendor price. I use "Appraiser" or something like that
where it gave me the warning, then i went to search and typed the name
of the item and hit search. I was expecting to see the name of one or
two fools who placed the price like that and I was planning to buyout
the under priced product and place them at their proper price.

What I was was 2 pages of the product from at least 6 people selling
lower than vendor price. The reasonable prices were on the third page.
To my surprise Auctioneer gives that percentage thing on the under
priced items in the eighties, meaning that this stupidity was going on
for quite a while.

Examples of some under priced items are Borean Leather, some types of
dragonscales, some blue gems from the seventies.

I rarely see stupidity like this... The last time I saw this was
months ago when some fools were putting Golden Pearls for 50-60 silver
while the vendor buys it for 1g.

Are there any examples on other realms or is it exclusive in Doomhammer
Jamie Kahn Genet
2009-08-09 05:20:41 UTC
Post by Tigero
[...]
I've seen it happening. Just utter cluelessness *shakes head* Still, I'm
always happy to take advantage :-)
Thomas Jespersen
2009-08-09 05:27:14 UTC
Post by Tigero
Are there any examples on other realms or is it exclusive in Doomhammer
I buy things sold for below vendorprice on a daily basis (hint: use the
Vendor search in the Auctioneer searchui). Common things sold below
vendorprice are Bandages, misc. grey items and Icy Dragonscales.
Tigero
2009-08-09 06:34:12 UTC
Post by Thomas Jespersen
Post by Tigero
Are there any examples on other realms or is it exclusive in Doomhammer
I buy things sold for below vendorprice on a daily basis (hint: use the
Vendor search in the Auctioneer searchui). Common things sold below
vendorprice are Bandages, misc. grey items and Icy Dragonscales.
Another gold making technique. I might do this as well.. might make a
guide called "How to make gold from Auction House Stupidity"
Patrick Vervoorn
2009-08-09 12:18:07 UTC
Post by Tigero
Post by Thomas Jespersen
Post by Tigero
Are there any examples on other realms or is it exclusive in Doomhammer
I buy things sold for below vendorprice on a daily basis (hint: use the
Vendor search in the Auctioneer searchui). Common things sold below
vendorprice are Bandages, misc. grey items and Icy Dragonscales.
Another gold making technique. I might do this as well.. might make a
guide called "How to make gold from Auction House Stupidity"
Out of curiosity, and my apologies if this is a noob question, but what
happens with the items you sell to a vendor? Do they 'disappear' or will
they become visible and available for other players to buy from that
same vendor?

Regards, Patrick.
Steve Kaye
2009-08-09 12:33:22 UTC
Post by Patrick Vervoorn
Post by Tigero
Post by Thomas Jespersen
Post by Tigero
Are there any examples on other realms or is it exclusive in Doomhammer
I buy things sold for below vendorprice on a daily basis (hint: use the
Vendor search in the Auctioneer searchui). Common things sold below
vendorprice are Bandages, misc. grey items and Icy Dragonscales.
Another gold making technique. I might do this as well.. might make a
guide called "How to make gold from Auction House Stupidity"
Out of curiosity, and my apologies if this is a noob question, but what
happens with the items you sell to a vendor? Do they 'disappear' or will
they become visible and available for other players to buy from that
same vendor?
They disappear. You can buy them back for a while afterwards but once
you've logged out they have gone. I think that zoning will also cause
sold items to disappear too.

steve.kaye
--
Jengu - 80 Undead Death Knight Clokk - 72 Tauren Druid
Jelan - 80 Troll Priest Miho - 72 Blood Elf Rogue
Kibbs - 80 Blood Elf Paladin Jaille - 70 Blood Elf Warlock
Patrick Vervoorn
2009-08-09 12:48:27 UTC
Post by Steve Kaye
In article
Post by Tigero
Post by Thomas Jespersen
Post by Tigero
Are there any examples on other realms or is it exclusive in Doomhammer
I buy things sold for below vendorprice on a daily basis (hint: use the
Vendor search in the Auctioneer searchui). Common things sold below
vendorprice are Bandages, misc. grey items and Icy Dragonscales.
Another gold making technique. I might do this as well.. might make a
guide called "How to make gold from Auction House Stupidity"
Out of curiosity, and my apologies if this is a noob question, but what
happens with the items you sell to a vendor? Do they 'disappear' or will
they become visible and available for other players to buy from that
same vendor?
They disappear. You can buy them back for a while afterwards but once
you've logged out they have gone. I think that zoning will also cause
sold items to disappear too.
So, while of course stupidity is maybe the most probably reason people
do this, the behaviour described in the OP does open another option...

Not sure what the right English-language term is, but something like
altruism, or charity, comes to mind. ;)

Regards,

Patrick.
unknown
2009-08-09 23:28:30 UTC
Post by Patrick Vervoorn
Post by Steve Kaye
In article
Post by Tigero
Post by Thomas Jespersen
Post by Tigero
[...]
There is no alturism on the AH, once people realise the scanner bots can harvest
their philanthropy.

However , I often dump stuff at or below vendor.
I keep in mind certain items , but I have better things to do than keep in mind
the current AH price for every item.

Often I don't even pay attention to what I am selling, just the margin.
The farmer has looked at it and vendored real junk or already KNOWN
low AH price items so what is passed on is in the hope it may be worth onselling.
If not it goes for minimum market or below, if that is below vendor no problem.

I figure 10 gold a minute for my time and a minute to vendor,
plus breaking the mail-sell flow, the 1 gold loss on a couple of stacks
isn't worth the vendor walk to me.

If people on a lower per minute rate want to harvest and make
a few copper it doesn't bother me, I actually prefer it, I never want to
see those items again anyway - I probably won't even see the 'auction successful' mail
:-)
Urbin
2009-08-10 06:51:24 UTC
Post by Steve Kaye
Post by Patrick Vervoorn
Post by Tigero
Post by Thomas Jespersen
Post by Tigero
Are there any examples on other realms or is it exclusive in Doomhammer
I buy things sold for below vendorprice on a daily basis (hint: use the
Vendor search in the Auctioneer searchui). Common things sold below
vendorprice are Bandages, misc. grey items and Icy Dragonscales.
Another gold making technique. I might do this as well.. might make a
guide called "How to make gold from Auction House Stupidity"
Out of curiosity, and my apologies if this is a noob question, but what
happens with the items you sell to a vendor? Do they 'disappear' or will
they become visible and available for other players to buy from that
same vendor?
They disappear. You can buy them back for a while afterwards but once
you've logged out they have gone. I think that zoning will also cause
sold items to disappear too.
They do, in fact, not disappear. There is a little known recycling scheme
going on where vendors put the items they buy and cannot resell in large
bins that are regularly emptied by goblins and then redistributed to mobs
all over the world of warcraft so they can drop these items again. It's been
introduced by Blizzard as an undocumented feature in patch 1.0.5 in order to
retain their ISO 14001 certification.

Cheers
Urbin
--
Dun Morogh-EU (PvE)
Urbin (80), Dwarven Hunter | Surana (64), Draenei Mage
Sunh (71), Nightelven Priest | Juran (33), Nightelven Druid
DarkRose
2009-08-10 12:43:15 UTC
Post by Urbin
Post by Patrick Vervoorn
Post by Tigero
Post by Thomas Jespersen
Post by Tigero
[...]
Sunh    (71), Nightelven Priest | Juran    (33), Nightelven Druid- Hide quoted text -
They'll need to really increase their documentation and traceability
to comply with the new ISO/TS-16949 certification though.
Nemesis
2009-08-10 14:40:35 UTC
Post by Patrick Vervoorn
Post by Tigero
Post by Thomas Jespersen
Post by Tigero
Are there any examples on other realms or is it exclusive in Doomhammer
I buy things sold for below vendorprice on a daily basis (hint: use the
Vendor search in the Auctioneer searchui). Common things sold below
vendorprice are Bandages, misc. grey items and Icy Dragonscales.
Another gold making technique. I might do this as well.. might make a
guide called "How to make gold from Auction House Stupidity"
Out of curiosity, and my apologies if this is a noob question, but what
happens with the items you sell to a vendor? Do they 'disappear' or will
they become visible and available for other players to buy from that
same vendor?
They disappear.  You can buy them back for a while afterwards but once
you've logged out they have gone.  I think that zoning will also cause
sold items to disappear too.
steve.kaye
It does now, but when I first started the game towards the end of
1997, zoning didn't affect it. They changed this in one of the later
patches.
DarkRose
2009-08-10 17:07:32 UTC
Post by Nemesis
Post by Patrick Vervoorn
Post by Tigero
Post by Thomas Jespersen
Post by Tigero
[...]
patches.- Hide quoted text -
1997? That doesn't look right... 2007 maybe?
Nemesis
Ouch, you're right. Needed more coffee.
pv+ (PV)
2009-08-11 18:06:17 UTC
Post by Thomas Jespersen
I buy things sold for below vendorprice on a daily basis (hint: use the
Vendor search in the Auctioneer searchui). Common things sold below
vendorprice are Bandages, misc. grey items and Icy Dragonscales.
Yup. And it's not idiotic. Selling to a vendor destroys the item. Selling
it on the auction house means someone will get use out of it. *
--
* PV Something like badgers, something like lizards, and something
like corkscrews.
Gordy
2009-08-10 02:03:31 UTC
Probably not stupid but just not as into the game as others id imagine
therefore not knowing vender prices of the top of their heads. So less fool
and probably living life more then you?
Tigero
2009-08-10 06:29:05 UTC
Post by Gordy
Probably not stupid but just not as into the game as others id imagine
therefore not knowing vender prices of the top of their heads. So less fool
and probably living life more then you?
You don't have to know the vendor price. If someone uses Auctioneer
addon it can tell if the bid or buyout price is lower than vendor
right on top of the setting price. If they don't have auctioneer or
any addon, with the new patch you can mouse over the item and it will
give you the selling price (which is vendor price)..
Urbin
2009-08-10 06:53:54 UTC
Post by Gordy
and probably living life more then you?
You don't have to know the vendor price. If someone uses Auctioneer
addon it can tell if the bid or buyout price is lower than vendor
right on top of the setting price. If they don't have auctioneer or
any addon, with the new patch you can mouse over the item and it will
give you the selling price (which is vendor price)..
Which might reduce the number of such auctions (now giving people without
Auctioneer (Informant actually)) the chance to see the vendor price.

On the other hand, when quickly auctioning off things it probably has
happened to me, too, that I might not have checked the vendor price before
posting an auction.

It would be neat if Auctioneer warned you before letting you post an auction
with a buyout below vendor price. Or does the feature already exist and I
haven't turned it on?

Cheers
Urbin
Thomas Jespersen
2009-08-10 07:20:09 UTC
Post by Urbin
It would be neat if Auctioneer warned you before letting you post an auction
with a buyout below vendor price. Or does the feature already exist and I
haven't turned it on?
There is a warning text if you use appraiser (not a pop-up window
though). The text can be seen just below the "Hide Item" checkbox.

Not sure what the Simple auction tab does in such cases since I always
use appraiser.
Urbin
2009-08-10 07:40:19 UTC
Post by Thomas Jespersen
Post by Urbin
It would be neat if Auctioneer warned you before letting you post an auction
with a buyout below vendor price. Or does the feature already exist and I
haven't turned it on?
There is a warning text if you use appraiser (not a pop-up window
though). The text can be seen just below the "Hide Item" checkbox.
Not sure what the Simple auction tab does in such cases since I always
use appraiser.
I always use appraiser, too. I have never noticed the warning, so either I
don't pay enough attention or was just lucky with my pricing so far :)

Thanks for the hint
Urbin
Burt Johnson
2009-08-11 23:56:37 UTC
Post by Thomas Jespersen
Post by Urbin
It would be neat if Auctioneer warned you before letting you post an auction
with a buyout below vendor price. Or does the feature already exist and I
haven't turned it on?
There is a warning text if you use appraiser (not a pop-up window
though). The text can be seen just below the "Hide Item" checkbox.
Not sure what the Simple auction tab does in such cases since I always
use appraiser.
But the warning is ignored if you use 'batch post', which is what I
always do. I usually have 100+ stacks to post at a time. I do the
'batch post,' and go get a coke (or wine) while it is running.
--
- Burt Johnson
MindStorm, Inc.
http://www.mindstorm-inc.com/software.html
Urbin
2009-08-14 09:27:10 UTC
Post by Burt Johnson
Post by Thomas Jespersen
Post by Urbin
It would be neat if Auctioneer warned you before letting you post an auction
with a buyout below vendor price. Or does the feature already exist and I
haven't turned it on?
There is a warning text if you use appraiser (not a pop-up window
though). The text can be seen just below the "Hide Item" checkbox.
Not sure what the Simple auction tab does in such cases since I always
use appraiser.
But the warning is ignored if you use 'batch post', which is what I
always do. I usually have 100+ stacks to post at a time. I do the
'batch post,' and go get a coke (or wine) while it is running.
Ah, that won't help me then, because I, too, always use batch post.

Cheers
Urbin
Zil
2009-08-10 07:34:53 UTC
Post by Tigero
Last night I decided to raise some gold. It was an entire day of
gathering and crafting consumables.
At the end of the session I sent all my items to my mule to place them
in AH. With Auctioneer back up again making auctioning a bit easy it
was smooth. Until a mind freezing discovery,
Some fools followed by fools and also followed by more fools were
putting some items in AH at a price lower than Vendor price.
For those that use Auctioneer, you can go to the Searches tab, choose
Vendor Search, and Auctioneer will show all listed items that are up
for less than vendor price.

I usually do this after every scan - there's usually a few g to be
made every day doing this. Not enough to make you rich, but if you've
just got low-level toons it can be a nice boost to your bank balance!
Zil, Level 80 NE Priest, Aman Shan're, Stormrage Europe
Nemesis
2009-08-10 14:38:34 UTC
Post by Tigero
[...]
I've seen this on Earthen Ring. Often lower level mats are flooded at
prices close to the vendors. In fact on that server I saw a guy brag
that he would purposely flood the market to force the prices to lower
if a particular item was (in his opinion) being priced too high.
C J Campbell
2009-08-10 23:40:49 UTC
Post by Tigero
I rarely see stupidity like this... The last time I saw this was
months ago when some fools were putting Golden Pearls for 50-60 silver
while the vendor buys it for 1g.
Are there any examples on other realms or is it exclusive in Doomhammer
Well, I have been known to post things on the AH for less than vendor
price, though not intentionally -- but even I make the occasional typo.
What really disturbs me about this is that on the few occasions that I
have done this, no one bought the item!
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor
Xymmie
2009-08-11 12:42:20 UTC
Post by C J Campbell
Post by Tigero
I rarely see stupidity like this... The last time I saw this was
months ago when some fools were putting Golden Pearls for 50-60 silver
while the vendor buys it for 1g.
Are there any examples on other realms or is it exclusive in Doomhammer
Well, I have been known to post things on the AH for less than vendor
price, though not intentionally -- but even I make the occasional typo.
What really disturbs me about this is that on the few occasions that I
have done this, no one bought the item!
That's pitiful!

I don't know if I've ever put up something for less than vendor price, but
I've made a bit of gold since learning about the search here. I have,
however, accidentally sold a stack of 20 for the stack of 10 price because I
haven't paid close enough attention to the details on the screen. (I did it
just the other day with a stack of gold bars. I made up nearly the whole
discrepancy with the vendor search buy/resell that same day.)

Xymmie
Burt Johnson
2009-08-11 23:56:37 UTC
Post by Xymmie
Post by C J Campbell
Well, I have been known to post things on the AH for less than vendor
price, though not intentionally -- but even I make the occasional typo.
What really disturbs me about this is that on the few occasions that I
have done this, no one bought the item!
That's pitiful!
I don't know if I've ever put up something for less than vendor price, but
I've made a bit of gold since learning about the search here. I have,
however, accidentally sold a stack of 20 for the stack of 10 price because I
haven't paid close enough attention to the details on the screen. (I did it
just the other day with a stack of gold bars. I made up nearly the whole
discrepancy with the vendor search buy/resell that same day.)
Do you use batch sell under Appriaser tab? If so, then you have
probably sold below vendor and not even known it...

I consider this a bug, but it is definitely there.

If you do separate sell command on each item, you see the warning about
being below vendor. At that point, skip it and sell it to the nearest
vendor. however, if you have 'batch post' and 'match price' on,
Auctioneer will merrily go ahead and post the items for less than vendor
price.

I discovered this a couple months back when I did a scan for items to
sell to vendors and discovered I couldn't buy them all because some of
them were mine. Yikes! Some quick testing verified this fact.

I don't know any way to stop Auctioneer from doing this (a preference
checkbox would seem obvious, but doesn't seem to exist). I decided that
it doesn't happen all that often, or cost me enough gold for me to spend
the excessive time to go item-by-item to avoid it ever happening.

Thus, if you happen to buy stuff under vendor price from me on my
servers, just thank my pal, Auctioneer. :-)
Xymmie
2009-08-12 12:12:19 UTC
Post by Burt Johnson
Post by Xymmie
Post by C J Campbell
Well, I have been known to post things on the AH for less than vendor
price, though not intentionally -- but even I make the occasional typo.
What really disturbs me about this is that on the few occasions that I
have done this, no one bought the item!
That's pitiful!
I don't know if I've ever put up something for less than vendor price, but
I've made a bit of gold since learning about the search here. I have,
however, accidentally sold a stack of 20 for the stack of 10 price because I
haven't paid close enough attention to the details on the screen. (I did it
just the other day with a stack of gold bars. I made up nearly the whole
discrepancy with the vendor search buy/resell that same day.)
Do you use batch sell under Appriaser tab? If so, then you have
probably sold below vendor and not even known it...
No, I don't batch sell.
Post by Burt Johnson
[...]
I had to wipe/reset Auctioneer history awhile back as it was giving
incorrect vendor prices for a few things: corpse dust, for one, and some
Northrend foods, and one type of crafted arrows. The vendor price was being
returned as *much* higher than it actually was. I lost a few gold finding
out, but only a few.

Xymmie
Ian Noble
2009-08-13 05:47:37 UTC
Post by Burt Johnson
Post by Xymmie
[...]
I think that's the price of having flexibility in the rules that you
can set for batch posting; it's possible to get results that you
didn't expect (I lnow of at least one other batch post quirk). But
putting in code to cover all the exceptions is almost certainly far
more maintenance trouble than it's worth, especially when the effort
to do it is (a) limited and (b) essentially unpaid (and there are
undoubtedly other, more important things that also need doing).

In other words, "caveat vendor".

Cheers - Ian
ScratchMonkey
2009-08-12 00:27:43 UTC
I have, however, accidentally sold a stack of 20 for the stack of 10
price because I haven't paid close enough attention to the details on
the screen.
I've been guilty of something like that before I started using the
appraiser tab. But I also still do it if I forget to check the box on the
Browse screen to display items priced per unit. (Is there a way to get that
checkbox to default checked?)