Heroic keys and honored rep requirement
v***@gmail.com
2008-01-04 13:53:49 UTC
My pally has quite a nice gear now. I think he could, given a chance,
tank any of the bosses in Karazhan and heroics are ok too. However, he
still isn't revered with all TBC factions. :P I'm so glad that revered
rep isn't required for the heroic key anymore. This is the current
situation:

Lower city: friendly. About 1.5k from honored. Still no heroic key. :/
I've done most of the soloable quests I've found. I've only cleared
Sethekk halls once, except for the last boss (couldn't get him down).
Mana tombs didn't give LC rep. :/ Not cleared SL, because the guildies
had cleared the instance and I've only killed the last mob for
Karazhan key fragment. I don't really like any of the Auchindoun
instances, although Sethekk halls isn't too bad. I guess I'll need at
least half a dozen runs to revered, some of them heroic.

Cenarion Expedition: Almost halfway to exalted. I have to admit, I've
done many Coilfang runs and there have been lots of quests too. I
needed maybe 3 or 4 instance runs to revered. (No, I didn't have
hundreds of plant parts in stock for rep boost) I think I'll get this
one to exalted first, because all the instances are quite easy in
heroic mode.

Thrallmar: 500 rep missing from revered. Never did Ramparts or BF
while leveling, but I like SH and I've done heroic BF twice. I think I
was barely honored after doing all the quests in HFP. Not visited
Ramparts yet, except for the first corridor in heroic (no previous
experience + not a good healer = painful).

Sha'tar: This one was quite easy to get to revered, because Aldor and
Scryers quests also give Sha'tar rep until honored and Sha'tar quests
give lots of rep too. I've done Botanica maybe twice and Arcatraz
maybe three times. No heroic runs yet.

Keepers of time: I really wanted to get this to revered because of the
nice rep rewards for tanks. Two Durnholde runs and maybe four BM runs.
Not too bad, because BM runs are so quick.

So... 3 of 5 are revered so far.

End of the report. :-)
lcpltom
2008-01-04 14:59:40 UTC
Post by v***@gmail.com
[...]
I like the honored requirement on heroic keys simply because my
character was geared enough for heroics and this gave me access to all
of them, not just the 2 I already had before the change. Its nice not
having to grind rep with a faction that has no rewards for me to get a
heroic key for a dungeon that does have nice rewards for me.

Unfortunately it also means grouping with people who aren't geared up
for heroics. While the rep grind didn't force people to be geared for
heroics, it at least gave them time and opportunity to get better gear
for the heroics. I've gotten into a few PUGS that were WTF kind of
runs with people who aren't sufficiently geared.

Lower City is a bit hard to grind rep for unless you planned ahead.
Running MT and AC repeatedly until honored, and then and only then
doing the quests that give LC rep is the only good way to grind rep
with them. Just by doing the quests and 1 AC run, I was able to get
honored with LC, which is where my rep has pretty much stayed even
though I have run SL a few times. I am now approaching revered.

KoT revered I got just by being there. Several failed Old Hillsbrad
runs boosted my rep up pretty high, and the quests produce a lot of
rep. I hit revered after my 2nd BM run. Too easy.

Shatar was also really easy, but that faction is the only one with 3
level 70 dungeons that still produce rep after honored. I wanted
revered with them for a trinket, and easily got it. I've subsequently
hit exalted with them without even trying, just doing daily dungeon
quests which are very often in TK instances.

CE was also very easy to get to revered. I was almost revered when I
finished questing in that zone. Two steamvaults runs and turning in
the drops got me revered. I want to work to exalted for a caster ring
they have, but as of yet I haven't done much with that faction.

Thrallmar is also a faction I want to get exalted but since they only
have 1 level 70 instance, that is also very difficult and prone to
failure due to bad PUGs, I haven't yet gotten it. About 1/4 into
revered now, so I have a long way to go.

Non-instance related rep, got exalted with Scryers. Got revered with
consortium just by doing daily quests through honored. Got revered
with Ogrila and Skyguard too, but neither have anything I want, even
at exalted. Consortium, Ogrila, and Skyguard rep only comes because
of the daily quests, without which I probably wouldn't have much
faction with them at all.
Kimbelyn
2008-01-04 15:31:29 UTC
Post by lcpltom
I like the honored requirement on heroic keys simply because my
character was geared enough for heroics and this gave me access to all
of them, not just the 2 I already had before the change. Its nice not
having to grind rep with a faction that has no rewards for me to get a
heroic key for a dungeon that does have nice rewards for me.
well, that was part of the point on why it was revered. it was thought
that by that point you'd have run the normal instances enough to gear up
so that you were indeed ready for the heroic version. thats one of my
only gripes about the honored requirement...people that have no business
being there are now able to run it in greens and with no clue about the
instance because they havent even run it on the regular mode.

that said, however, im personally glad because it means im not spending
weeks doing rep grinds on my alts. i gear them out quickly and take them
there under guild groups to prevent issues. once geared i can then worry
about attempting pugs if im feeling bold or in a hurry to get the daily
completed.
kim <3
duc
2008-01-05 22:35:49 UTC
Post by Kimbelyn
Post by lcpltom
I like the honored requirement on heroic keys simply because my
character was geared enough for heroics and this gave me access to all
of them, not just the 2 I already had before the change. Its nice not
having to grind rep with a faction that has no rewards for me to get a
heroic key for a dungeon that does have nice rewards for me.
well, that was part of the point on why it was revered. it was thought
that by that point you'd have run the normal instances enough to gear up
so that you were indeed ready for the heroic version. thats one of my
only gripes about the honored requirement...people that have no business
being there are now able to run it in greens and with no clue about the
instance because they havent even run it on the regular mode.
I am really finding this real annoying now to the point that I hate pugs
for heroics now. At least before characters were experienced in normal
instances and geared better for heroics now we have people who don't
know the instances, in greens wasting everyone's time because they cant
tank/heal (can get away with it if dps as long as others are well
equipped and know what they are doing). Today on SP got three full
groups in total and still didn't make it to first boss. First group tank
couldn't tank more than one mob so healer died 3 times before he left.
Second tank was in quite a few greens keeping healer busy and couldn't
get enough aggro so dps was very slow healer gave up before first boss
so everyone left. Third group I cant put my finger quite on it as
everyone sucked. Its rare that I now complete an heroic in a PUG
/rant

Candido
2008-01-04 17:55:31 UTC
Post by v***@gmail.com
So... 3 of 5 are revered so far.
I'm so mad that I got exalted with all the tbc factions but Ashtongue
Deathsworn... :P

Actually I'm working on Darnassus rep to get the kitty (I'm human), but
it's so boring to do all those quest running and running and running...
Candido
lcpltom
2008-01-04 17:59:48 UTC
Post by Candido
Post by v***@gmail.com
So... 3 of 5 are revered so far.
I'm so mad that I got exalted with all the tbc factions but Ashtongue
Deathsworn... :P
Actually I'm working on Darnassus rep to get the kitty (I'm human), but
it's so boring to do all those quest running and running and running...
--
Candido
What is to be mad about? Now you can go just about anywhere in
Outland and get a 20% discount on mats and repairs.

And getting Darnassus rep should be easy at 70. Especially if you
already have your epic mount and can get around faster. That bonus
humans get to rep gains should also make it fairly simple.
lcpltom
2008-01-04 18:04:46 UTC
Post by lcpltom
Post by Candido
Post by v***@gmail.com
So... 3 of 5 are revered so far.
I'm so mad that I got exalted with all the tbc factions but Ashtongue
Deathsworn... :P
Actually I'm working on Darnassus rep to get the kitty (I'm human), but
it's so boring to do all those quest running and running and running...
--
Candido
What is to be mad about? Now you can go just about anywhere in
Outland and get a 20% discount on mats and repairs.
And getting Darnassus rep should be easy at 70. Especially if you
already have your epic mount and can get around faster. That bonus
humans get to rep gains should also make it fairly simple.
Also it might be a good thing to get the rep with Darnassus now.
Being the closest alliance city to Northrend it wouldn't surprise me
if one of the boats to Northrend left from the docks there.

If they do the same thing they did with TBC, and keep training and AH
in the old world cities, Darnassus might actually become a busy city.
Even if there were portals to other alliance cities, Darnassus would
provide the fastest travel back to Northrend short of a hearth,
portal, or summon.

I know the demo they had at Blizcon had people taking a zepplin to
Northrend, and having UC in close proximity to Northrend might make UC
more busy.

That all remains to be seen, but its all a possibility. Get your
Darnassus/UC rep up to save on training costs in the expansion.
Candido
2008-01-05 00:36:24 UTC
Post by lcpltom
And getting Darnassus rep should be easy at 70. Especially if you
already have your epic mount and can get around faster. That bonus
humans get to rep gains should also make it fairly simple.
Is just boring running all the ways for hours handing quests... :-)
I need more 20k rep points, btw.. :-(
--
Candido