Better Night Skies?
i***@gmail.com
2018-12-29 06:02:00 UTC
I'm noticing a night sky when it's night time in the real world, in places where I hadn't noticed nighttime before like in Orgrimmar or places where they used to have it and then it was taken out so that if you went to those zones while it was night in the real world, in the game there was no difference but now there is.
When was this changed?
ASKF
2018-12-30 03:18:11 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
I'm noticing a night sky when it's night time in the real world, in places where I hadn't noticed nighttime before like in Orgrimmar or places where they used to have it and then it was taken out so that if you went to those zones while it was night in the real world, in the game there was no difference but now there is.
When was this changed?
I would like to verify your observations, if you would bother to
structurate your posting.

Which zones are you talking about?
--
Allan Stig Kiilerich Frederiksen
"When you try to change a mans paradigm, you must keep in mind that he
-Myron Tribus
i***@gmail.com
For starters, Orgrimmar, Dun Morogh and Elwynn Forest.
Tim Merrigan
2018-12-30 08:38:25 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
I'm noticing a night sky when it's night time in the real world, in places where I hadn't noticed nighttime before like in Orgrimmar or places where they used to have it and then it was taken out so that if you went to those zones while it was night in the real world, in the game there was no difference but now there is.
When was this changed?
I haven't paid attention lately, but a while ago I noticed that the
day/night cycle seems to be about an hour.

Right now outside Ironforge, at 2018-12-30 12:36 PST it's night, with
a full moon, so brightly lit.
and to the republic which it established, one nation, from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.
Feel free to use the above variant pledge in your own postings.

Tim Merrigan
Tim Merrigan
2018-12-30 08:48:39 UTC
Post by Tim Merrigan
Post by i***@gmail.com
I'm noticing a night sky when it's night time in the real world, in places where I hadn't noticed nighttime before like in Orgrimmar or places where they used to have it and then it was taken out so that if you went to those zones while it was night in the real world, in the game there was no difference but now there is.
When was this changed?
I haven't paid attention lately, but a while ago I noticed that the
day/night cycle seems to be about an hour.
Right now outside Ironforge, at 2018-12-30 12:36 PST it's night, with
a full moon, so brightly lit.
And in Orgrimmar, which should be half way around the world, and so
should be in daylight when the Eastern Kingdoms are in night, it's the
same.

BTW the day/night cycles should be different on Azarath, Outland,
Dranar, and Argus

Tim Merrigan
Shinnokxz
2019-01-02 03:27:49 UTC
Post by Tim Merrigan
Post by Tim Merrigan
Post by i***@gmail.com
[...]
My understanding that time, thus rendered skies designating time, are a per server constant and thus the zones render whatever strings with that constant.

Expecting an ingame timezone system to exist solely for the purpose of theoretically attuned skies is probably a concept they laughed at and threw in the trash, if even given that much thought.
i***@gmail.com
And yet other games like Elder Scrolls and Black Desert Online, have been able to do that, just that their time passes at a different rates but they have clear day and night phases.
Lewis
2019-01-08 04:55:47 UTC
lG
Post by i***@gmail.com
Post by Shinnokxz
NoSpam
Post by Tim Merrigan
Post by i***@gmail.com
[...]
Why are you assume Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor are on opposite sides of
the planet?
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.
Tim Merrigan
2019-01-08 05:56:39 UTC
On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 04:55:47 -0000 (UTC), Lewis
Post by Lewis
lG
Post by i***@gmail.com
Post by Shinnokxz
NoSpam
Post by Tim Merrigan
Post by i***@gmail.com
[...]
Well, there's a huge onion, and 4 continents, counting the Maelstrom,
6 if you count Northrend and Pandaria, between them. Admittedly, we
don't see what's between them on the other side of the planet, but
based on what we do see....

Tim Merrigan
Tim Merrigan
2019-01-08 05:58:46 UTC
Post by Tim Merrigan
On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 04:55:47 -0000 (UTC), Lewis
Post by Lewis
lG
Post by i***@gmail.com
Post by Shinnokxz
NoSpam
Post by Tim Merrigan
Post by i***@gmail.com
[...]
ocean not onion

Tim Merrigan
Lewis
2019-01-08 13:21:16 UTC
Post by Tim Merrigan
On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 04:55:47 -0000 (UTC), Lewis
Post by Lewis
lG
Post by i***@gmail.com
Post by Shinnokxz
NoSpam
Post by Tim Merrigan
Post by i***@gmail.com
[...]
All of those island are pretty small.
You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!
i***@gmail.com
Wasn't intending to give that intention. Not only is it likely that there's another side of Azeroth that we haven't seen, but considering that it's cold in the northern part of the known continents, while hot in the south, that south could be either at the equator or just north of it, meaning that there could be more below it.
Tim Merrigan
2019-02-11 03:47:43 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
Post by Lewis
lG
Post by i***@gmail.com
Post by Shinnokxz
NoSpam
Post by Tim Merrigan
Post by i***@gmail.com
[...]
Someone on here measured the length of the Eastern Kingdoms (by
putting a Tom Tom waypoint in Silvermoon City while his character was
in Booty Bay) and discovered it's about the same length Britain
(England and Scotland), so a little less than 1500 KM

another calculation from Wowhead

Quakebane <Notability> 120 Worgen Warrior 25965 17 posts
2
Kalimdor from North to South is 7.2km
Eastern Kingdoms from North to South is 7.2km
Pandaria from West to East is 3.3km

Note, he did this calculating from timed flight times, based on in
game movement speeds.

He apparently didn't do Northrend.

Also the central ocean is a bit larger in diameter than the lengths of
to the "continents".

Tim Merrigan
Tim Merrigan
2019-02-11 03:55:45 UTC
Post by Tim Merrigan
Post by i***@gmail.com
Post by Lewis
lG
Post by i***@gmail.com
Post by Shinnokxz
NoSpam
Post by Tim Merrigan
Post by i***@gmail.com
[...]
So, if Quakebane's calculations are right, the whole world is about
10, maybe 15 KM across. There are Earth villages that are bigger than
that.

Tim Merrigan
Lewis
2019-02-11 06:17:41 UTC
Post by Tim Merrigan
Post by i***@gmail.com
Post by Lewis
lG
Post by i***@gmail.com
Post by Shinnokxz
NoSpam
Post by Tim Merrigan
Post by i***@gmail.com
[...]
It is nowhere near that long, as I just did that and it is more the size
of Manhattan island. 22,000 meters, as I recall.
--
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a
little way past them into the impossible.