Where to start with a 73 warrior
Shinnokxz
2018-08-15 02:27:57 UTC
Just subbed again to check out the new expansion (didnt actually buy the expansion yet, just seeing if I can get into things) The interface is even more foreign than I remember 4 years ago when I got a Druid and Rogue to 93 or so around MoP

Blizzard was nice enough to move my old old character from a previous WoW purchase (vanilla) that was compromised and I kind of just gave up on trying to do back last time I played. One of them was my warrior which was my main during the 2004 through TBC era. Unfortunately all his sweet BWL/AQ20 gear was lost. Oh well

I do want to start playing the warrior again, after have leveled one to 60 on an unofficial vanilla server a year or so back.

I'm zoned into Dalaran at this point, around level 73, and have done some research into a bit of the talent optimization. Can I safely PvE quest while specced for tanking? I believe I remember you get to respec for free now in resting areas. Is that true?

What zone should I head to?
Catriona R
2018-08-15 16:59:44 UTC
On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 19:27:57 -0700 (PDT), Shinnokxz
Post by Shinnokxz
Just subbed again to check out the new expansion (didnt actually buy the expansion yet, just seeing if I can get into things) The interface is even more foreign than I remember 4 years ago when I got a Druid and Rogue to 93 or so around MoP
Oh yeah, I'm trying to get used to the new interface but am keeping an
eye on addons to restore the old one - even if I get used to it
functionally, it's just plain ugly, assymetric is not attractive.
Post by Shinnokxz
Blizzard was nice enough to move my old old character from a previous WoW purchase (vanilla) that was compromised and I kind of just gave up on trying to do back last time I played. One of them was my warrior which was my main during the 2004 through TBC era. Unfortunately all his sweet BWL/AQ20 gear was lost. Oh well
Aww, that's a shame, would've been nice to have that already available
in your transmog wardrobe. Can go back and get it again but that's
annoying.
Post by Shinnokxz
I do want to start playing the warrior again, after have leveled one to 60 on an unofficial vanilla server a year or so back.
I'm zoned into Dalaran at this point, around level 73, and have done some research into a bit of the talent optimization. Can I safely PvE quest while specced for tanking? I believe I remember you get to respec for free now in resting areas. Is that true?
Correct, the only restriction on respeccing now is being in a rested
area (or having a particular consumable item on you, but I just use
rested areas)
Post by Shinnokxz
What zone should I head to?
Nowadays we have limited zone scaling, which means older zones scale
up, giving you a wider range to choose from, as quests and mobs won't
go grey and always give you rewards appropriate to your lvl. Both
Outland and Northrend scale 58-80, and at 73 all their zones would be
available to you (they scale *up* not *down* so for example Shadowmoon
valley still requires 68, not 60 - but as Northrend opens at 58 now, I
presume the original level requirements there all got lowered by 10 to
match the Outland ones). So anywhere you like in either of those
continents; you've probably already done much of Outland if you're 73
anyway. Once you reach 80, you'll enter another band of scaling zones
and can choose between Cataclysm or Pandaria zones; there should be a
quest popping up at that point to direct you one way or another.

You've got plenty to explore if you last played in MoP, take your time
and enjoy the journey :-) WoD was very unpopular, but one thing it
*did* do well was the levelling quests, while I loved several of the
Legion zones, and the class theme there made levelling alts feel a lot
cooler as each got a different flavour.
Lewis
2018-08-16 00:02:19 UTC
Post by Shinnokxz
What zone should I head to?
Any zone in Outland or Northrend for 60-80, then at about 80, any zone
in Pandamania or Cataclysm. Then on to WOD (ugh, WOD) for 90-100 and
Legion for 100-110.

(One note, it used to be that you could easily go to Outland and 58 and
Northrend at 68, this is no longer the case, the scaling makes mobs two
levels higher than you pretty damn tough, and mobs 3+ levels higher will
pretty much kill you dead. It is much better to wait to go to Northrend
or Outland at 59, or even wait until 60).
For a very few, the sky's the limit. And, sometimes, not even that.
Ashen Shugar
2018-08-18 11:15:35 UTC
I think it was Shinnokxz <***@gmail.com> that wrote something
like...
Post by Shinnokxz
Can I safely PvE quest while specced for tanking? I believe I remember you get to respec for free now in resting areas. Is that true?
I haven't really played much lately, but I did play a bit during early
Legion, and was still quite happy questing my warrior in tank spec.
Actually, I've been doing that since WotLK. Maybe a properly geared
dps spec would be faster, but I liked the tank spec as I never had to
stop to heal up and it was more annoying *not* having multiple mobs to
fight at once rather than add's being a problem.

Ashen Shugar
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!
Tim Merrigan
2018-08-18 18:01:32 UTC
Post by Ashen Shugar
like...
Post by Shinnokxz
Can I safely PvE quest while specced for tanking? I believe I remember you get to respec for free now in resting areas. Is that true?
I haven't really played much lately, but I did play a bit during early
Legion, and was still quite happy questing my warrior in tank spec.
Actually, I've been doing that since WotLK. Maybe a properly geared
dps spec would be faster, but I liked the tank spec as I never had to
stop to heal up and it was more annoying *not* having multiple mobs to
fight at once rather than add's being a problem.
Ashen Shugar
I always play PvE, if I've got a choice, and avoid dungeons, raids,
and arenas like the plague, and I've played both tank and fighter
specs without particularly noticing the difference. (I only notice
when I have to do a dungeon, and I see which box is checked.)

P.S. If you do do dungeons using the dungeon finder, tanks (and
healers) find groups faster.
and to the republic which it established, one nation, from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.
Feel free to use the above variant pledge in your own postings.

Tim Merrigan
Shinnokxz
2018-08-23 02:04:45 UTC
Always seemed to be the case back at the beginning in vanilla, and as well as the last time I played around the end of MoP. Seems even though the specs add more utility to be able to succeed in either faction, you can always spot the differences between a good and bad tank ;)
Shinnokxz
2018-08-23 02:03:29 UTC
Post by Ashen Shugar
Actually, I've been doing that since WotLK. Maybe a properly geared
dps spec would be faster, but I liked the tank spec as I never had to
stop to heal up and it was more annoying *not* having multiple mobs to
fight at once rather than add's being a problem.
Ashen Shugar
I preferred playing a Protection warrior in vanilla, mainly because it got me into guilds and groups. I also enjoyed the game play more than just face rolling rotations to get DPS numbers