Hit rating for feral druid cat
Marco Dieckhoff
2007-06-26 09:42:13 UTC
Hi!

I tried to read myself through wowwiki and different forums, but I
can't find a particular part of information:

How much +hit is good for a feral cat, where is the cap?

I know that depends on level differences between me and the
opponent (PvE mostly) and +feral combat gear.

Nearly anything of the following considerations can be wrong, as
I'm not very sure of the formulas.
I'm putting in the sources of these information.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Formulas:Critical_hit_chance
To hit can only be used to counter the base chance to miss (5%
for one-hand users without any off-hand weapon, 9% for two-handers
and 24% for dualwielders)
I think I heard somewhere that feral cats are "one-handed" (even
when carrying 2h staves)
(Can't find the source)

So I assume against a mob of the same level I have a standard 5%
chance to miss.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Formulas:Weapon_Skill
Chance to Hit
A player's chance to miss in PVE is also greatly affected by
difference in mobs' defense and the player's attack rating.
* If the monster's defense is 1 to 10 points greater than your
weapon skill, you suffer 0.1% chance to miss per point.
* If the difference is more than 10, the penalty is doubled to
0.2% per point
So, talking about a "standard" lvl73 mob as found in most instances
(supposed defense rating 365).

I read the above as "penalty is doubled" for all points, not just
the ones above 10 difference.

So: The chance to miss (5%) is affected by ( 365-350 ) * 0.2% =
3.0% more misses.

Should be 8% total.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Formulas:Combat_Ratings_System
+15.8 Hit Rating = +1% hit chance at 70.
So 8% would mean you need 124 +hit rating.

The maximum level seen is iirc 75 - so 375 def, meaning 5% more
misses, meaning +158 hit.

With Feral Combat Gear:
http://www.wowwiki.com/Formulas:Weapon_Skill
It takes [..] 3.9 points of Weapon Skill Rating at level 70, to
increase your actual Weapon Skill by 1.
So, when equipped with Clefthoof Hide Leggings (+18, Quest
"Showdown") you get additions +4 Weapon Skill.
That gives you 365 - (350+4) = 11 difference. Doh, still *0.2.

11 * 0.2% = 1.5% meaning you need +103 hit.

Let's grind exalted with Cenarion and Lower City:
Adding Earthwarden (+24) and Shapeshifter's Signet (+20) with the
+18 Leggings give additional 15 Def rating.

Leaving the Lvl73 mob at "our" level with 5% standard miss, so
+79hit gear is needed.

There are also some gloves from a Netherstorm quest (Flesh
Handler's Gauntlets), but there are much better gloves when looking
to http://www.gurgleblaster.net/emmerald/Cat_Sustained_DPS/Hands.html,
so I'll leave that +18 fcs out.

And the Shattrath Leggins give +22, meaning you can get +16 Def
instead of +15, coming to +77 hit gear.
As the Clefthoof Hide Leggings give +17 hit rating, I'd take those,
having the extra +4 feral combat cause 15 less +hit rating :)

http://www.wowwiki.com/Formulas:Critical_hit_chance
To hit can only be used to counter the base chance to miss (5%
for one-hand users without any off-hand weapon, 9% for two-handers
and 24% for dualwielders)
ONLY... Strange word in the quoted text above...
Does this mean I need a maximum of +79 hit rating (without +feral
combat), as I can't counter increased chance to miss?...

Seems unlikely to me.

Conclusion:

For PvE (with mobs up to lvl73), you need:

+79 hit (with the 3 +feral combat items)
+124 hit rating (without the +feral combat items)

+158 hit rating would be a cap against lvl75 mobs (without items)

So, does this seem right?
Did I take a wrong way somewhere?
What do you suspect?
--
Marco Dieckhoff
GPG Key 0x1A6C95BA -- http://www.frankonia-brunonia.de/keys
Ieyasu
2007-06-27 04:37:22 UTC
Post by Marco Dieckhoff
http://www.wowwiki.com/Formulas:Critical_hit_chance
To hit can only be used to counter the base chance to miss (5%
for one-hand users without any off-hand weapon, 9% for two-handers
and 24% for dualwielders)
ONLY... Strange word in the quoted text above...
Does this mean I need a maximum of +79 hit rating (without +feral
combat), as I can't counter increased chance to miss?...
That's the ticket. After you get +5% hit, it's basically worthless. I'm
not one for number crunching, but the general "rule" on +hit for any
character class is: Get 5%, then go after other more important stats.
Although I seem to remember a time when the golden "to hit" number was 4%, I
could just be hallucinating again.
Catriona R
2007-06-27 11:41:47 UTC
Post by Ieyasu
Post by Marco Dieckhoff
http://www.wowwiki.com/Formulas:Critical_hit_chance
To hit can only be used to counter the base chance to miss (5%
for one-hand users without any off-hand weapon, 9% for two-handers
and 24% for dualwielders)
ONLY... Strange word in the quoted text above...
Does this mean I need a maximum of +79 hit rating (without +feral
combat), as I can't counter increased chance to miss?...
That's the ticket. After you get +5% hit, it's basically worthless. I'm
not one for number crunching, but the general "rule" on +hit for any
character class is: Get 5%, then go after other more important stats.
Although I seem to remember a time when the golden "to hit" number was 4%, I
could just be hallucinating again.
For *most* classes yes, not for rogues or dual-wield warriors, as we have
that 24% missrate due to dual-wielding. I aim to have around 15% +hit,
would prefer 20+, but that's too hard to reach without gimping other stats
a lot.
--
EU-Draenor:
Balgair - Human Rogue (lvl 70)