warcraft grave markers
Tim Merrigan
2019-08-12 07:09:30 UTC
Does anyone know the symbolism of Warcraft's grave marker, and
religious icons? This:

=||=
// || \\
\\ || //
=||=

Best viewed in a fixed font.
and to the republic which it established, one nation, from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.
Feel free to use the above variant pledge in your own postings.

Tim Merrigan
Tim Merrigan
2019-08-12 15:20:51 UTC
Post by Tim Merrigan
Does anyone know the symbolism of Warcraft's grave marker, and
=||=
// || \\
< >
\\ || //
=||=
Best viewed in a fixed font.
I looked it up on Wowhead.

Now I have another (game play) question. You people who do dungeons,
how do you pay attention to the chat window and the action at the same
time? Between my reading speed and typing speed and mousing speed,
that's not really an option for me. I can either hold a conversation,
or run headlong through the dungeon (as seems to be the standard
pace), but not both.

I just got kicked from Deadmines, in the Classic stress test (at 7 AM,
2 hours before shut down), because I died, wasn't resurrected, ran
back to Moonbrook, after a few false starts, found the entrance to the
mine, finally found my body about 3/4s of the way down, resurrected,
with no clue where the rest of the party was, got killed again, and
got kicked from the party. Then I read the chat log.

Level 15 human warrior. Considering it's a level 18 dungeon, I'm a
little surprised everyone wasn't killed almost immediately.

Tim Merrigan
Lewis
2019-08-12 16:08:51 UTC
Post by Tim Merrigan
Post by Tim Merrigan
Does anyone know the symbolism of Warcraft's grave marker, and
=||=
// || \\
< >
\\ || //
=||=
Best viewed in a fixed font.
I looked it up on Wowhead.
Now I have another (game play) question. You people who do dungeons,
how do you pay attention to the chat window and the action at the same
time?
I normally do not have the chat visible on screen (party,raid, guild go
to a separate tab that is not in the foreground. If I am in a raid I
don't know well, I will pop the raid chat into the foreground and glance
at it for any instructions.

In combat the info is generally very short. "Switch!" "Adds" "Group on
{square}" and such.

In instances, there is hardly ever any chat at all.
Post by Tim Merrigan
I just got kicked from Deadmines, in the Classic stress test (at 7 AM,
2 hours before shut down), because I died, wasn't resurrected, ran
back to Moonbrook, after a few false starts, found the entrance to the
mine, finally found my body about 3/4s of the way down, resurrected,
with no clue where the rest of the party was, got killed again, and
got kicked from the party. Then I read the chat log.
If you could not read the chat log at all in all that time then I have no
idea what to tell you. How many thousands of words were in the log? How
many windows did you have to scroll through?

While you were dead and not getting a rez, why didn't you look at the
chat log then?
Post by Tim Merrigan
Level 15 human warrior. Considering it's a level 18 dungeon, I'm a
little surprised everyone wasn't killed almost immediately.
??? Have you played WoW before or are you new to the game?
--
Vernon: Now this is the thought that wakes me up in the middle of the
night. That when I get older, these kids are going to take care of me
Carl: I wouldn't count on it.
Tim Merrigan
2019-08-12 16:43:27 UTC
On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 16:08:51 -0000 (UTC), Lewis
Post by Lewis
Post by Tim Merrigan
Level 15 human warrior. Considering it's a level 18 dungeon, I'm a
little surprised everyone wasn't killed almost immediately.
??? Have you played WoW before or are you new to the game?
Maybe six or seven windows, with a few lines of unrelated chatter from
people not in the instance.

I've been playing since MoP, but I mostly solo and almost never do
dungeons or raids.

I didn't look at the chat while I was dead because I didn't think of
it.

BTW when the group was requested, I didn't know it was for a dungeon,
till I got to the gathering stone. I had gotten stuck on "kill 15
Defius Highwaymen" most of whom are lvl 18 (to my 15). I managed to
get five of them, by aggroing them away from their buddies, so I could
fight them one on one, and sticking to the 16s and 17s.

Tim Merrigan
Lewis
2019-08-13 04:30:21 UTC
Post by Tim Merrigan
Maybe six or seven windows, with a few lines of unrelated chatter from
people not in the instance.
I've been playing wow for nearly 15 years and I have never ever had six
or seven chat windows. I don't think I've ever had five. Or four, though
four might be possible. If I get a chat from rando person, or someone
answering a question in general/trade I will reply (or not) then close
that window.

I have general and world defense channels on the main window that is on
the top of the stack most of the time. Second tab has guild, party.,
raid and is nearly never on the top of the stack. Third is "1ups" which
is all the XP, drops, rep gains, gold, etc. This is the window I
normally have on top when I am out in the world.

Chats from friends usualy occur via iMessage or, rarely, SMS, but
messages will show up sometimes in game, but the might be at most two at
a time...
Post by Tim Merrigan
I've been playing since MoP, but I mostly solo and almost never do
dungeons or raids.
I didn't look at the chat while I was dead because I didn't think of
it.
Party chat should be checked when there is a wipe or (unless the first
few weeks of new content) whenever anyone dies. Dungeons are trivial
unless someone did something specacularly bad.

I can't speak to Classic as I played it 15 years ago and hav no
intention of ever playing it again. Evevery day in WoW is another day
removed from buying ammo, feeding pets, spending 30 hours a wekk minimum
gathering resources, and fracking gathering stones.

Still, it takes SECONDS to check chat and it takes many MINUTES to run
back just to the enterence ro Deadmines, nuch less find your way
through it to your group (or any instance, though Deadmines is worse
than many).
--
I would rather be a mute poet, a blind artist or a deaf musician than a
heartless man. -Graffiti, bathroom wall @ The Napoleon House New Orleans
1967 (via @johnlarroquette)
Tim Merrigan
2019-08-14 22:58:01 UTC
Post by Tim Merrigan
[...]
I think you may be talking about different chat windows than I am. I'm
talking about the one on the lower left of the screen, that holds 8
lines of text. And the most tabs I've ever seen are three, "General",
usually on top, "Combat Log", and "Pet Battles", which isn't always
there.

Matthias Shaw and Genn Graymain's conversation on the deck of Wind's
Redemption is two pages (16 lines).

And if I stop to think of it, I might look at it occasionally.

Tim Merrigan
Lewis
2019-08-15 13:55:44 UTC
Post by Tim Merrigan
[...]
Yes, those. They aklso create a new tab when someone whispers you. And
you can make your own tabs (like I did for "Chat" and "1UP"
Post by Tim Merrigan
Matthias Shaw and Genn Graymain's conversation on the deck of Wind's
Redemption is two pages (16 lines).
Yes, and that goes to window 1 and that window is nearly never the
active window since it is sopammed with garbage text all the time.

That has nothing to do with party chat, guild chat, or raid chat. Put
those in a separate tab so you can see them any time withou getting
polluted with game spam.
--
Space Directive 723: Terraformers are expressly forbidden from
recreating Swindon.
Catriona R
2019-08-15 22:57:57 UTC
On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 13:55:44 -0000 (UTC), Lewis
Post by Lewis
Yes, those. They aklso create a new tab when someone whispers you. And
you can make your own tabs (like I did for "Chat" and "1UP"
They don't automatically create new tabs unless you have an addon that
does that - don't confuse the poor guy even more, sounds like he's
already a bit lost ;-)
Post by Lewis
Post by Tim Merrigan
Matthias Shaw and Genn Graymain's conversation on the deck of Wind's
Redemption is two pages (16 lines).
Yes, and that goes to window 1 and that window is nearly never the
active window since it is sopammed with garbage text all the time.
That has nothing to do with party chat, guild chat, or raid chat. Put
those in a separate tab so you can see them any time withou getting
polluted with game spam.
Yes, creating a separate window for important chat is a really good
idea - you can do this by right-clicking the tab and selecting the new
chat tab option :-)

You can also drag a tab out into a complete new window; I usually have
a 2nd window on the side which only contains whispers and guild chat,
helps a lot, and in the left hand window I have general spam channels
turned off in the main tab, and just have a separate tab including
everything for the rare occasions I want to see it.

I might actually want to see the general channels a bit more in
Classic, but NOT in the first couple of weeks lol, once things calm
down a bit it will be more useful for finding groups for things, but
the lowbie zones will be nothing but spam to begin with, Barrens Chat
returns lol.
Tim Merrigan
2019-08-16 01:03:32 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Tim Merrigan
[...]
thank you all for the infomation

I have another, completely unrelated question, for which I' start a
new thread.

Tim Merrigan
Lewis
2019-08-16 03:10:36 UTC
Post by Lewis
Yes, those. They aklso create a new tab when someone whispers you. And
you can make your own tabs (like I did for "Chat" and "1UP"
They don't automatically create new tabs unless you have an addon that
does that - don't confuse the poor guy even more, sounds like he's
already a bit lost ;-)
Really? It's an addon I've been running so long I've clearly forgotten
it wasn't built-in, since it is the only sensible thing to do with
whispers. If the game dumps them into the main window without an addon
that is idiotic.

(I have never run WoW without addons, not since day one, and I never
will).
--
<[TN]FBMachine> I got kicked out of Barnes and Noble once for moving all
the bibles into the fiction section
Catriona R
2019-08-16 15:22:37 UTC
Post by Lewis
Yes, those. They aklso create a new tab when someone whispers you. And
you can make your own tabs (like I did for "Chat" and "1UP"
They don't automatically create new tabs unless you have an addon that
does that - don't confuse the poor guy even more, sounds like he's
already a bit lost ;-)
Really? It's an addon I've been running so long I've clearly forgotten
it wasn't built-in, since it is the only sensible thing to do with
whispers. If the game dumps them into the main window without an addon
that is idiotic.
Yep, default way is everything in the main window, absolute chaos.
That said, I'd hate extra windows appearing for whispers, that'd end
up either cluttered with extra separate windows, or else I'd always be
looking at the wrong tab and missing things in other chat, so manually
setting up your own preferences is probably best; as I'm in a private
guild and rarely get whispers, then guild/whispers in one window works
fine for me (and is usually dead anyway lol), for Classic as I have a
guild lined up I may make two tabs; one with both and one with just
whispers in case a conversation is getting drowned out by guild spam.
Post by Lewis
(I have never run WoW without addons, not since day one, and I never
will).
I ran for about the first couple of weeks without addons, then got
some for some of the most annoying things; I'm not really addon-heavy
though and quite happy with default UI on a lot of things. Already got
8 addons installed for Classic, will see if I can keep it down there,
but for things which I used addons back then anyway, then I'll
continue using them. I'm just not social enough to have much need for
chat addons lol, I use Chatter on live out of habit, but the default
UI actually added most the features I originally got it for anyway so
I may use none on Classic, will see how it goes!
Lewis
2019-08-16 15:46:30 UTC
Post by Lewis
Yes, those. They aklso create a new tab when someone whispers you. And
you can make your own tabs (like I did for "Chat" and "1UP"
They don't automatically create new tabs unless you have an addon that
does that - don't confuse the poor guy even more, sounds like he's
already a bit lost ;-)
Really? It's an addon I've been running so long I've clearly forgotten
it wasn't built-in, since it is the only sensible thing to do with
whispers. If the game dumps them into the main window without an addon
that is idiotic.
Yep, default way is everything in the main window, absolute chaos.
That said, I'd hate extra windows appearing for whispers, that'd end
up either cluttered with extra separate windows, or else I'd always be
looking at the wrong tab and missing things in other chat, so manually
You must get a lot more whispers than I ever have. Also, it's not like
the whispers pop to the front, so they don't get in the way at all
unless you want to look at them.

Like I said, I have two custom windows, and I mostly ignroe the default
general window and never look at the combat window). One widonw for /say
/party /raid /instance /guild and one for drops, skills, xp, crafting,
etc.
Post by Catriona R
I ran for about the first couple of weeks without addons, then got
some for some of the most annoying things; I'm not really addon-heavy
though and quite happy with default UI on a lot of things. Already got
8 addons installed for Classic, will see if I can keep it down there,
but for things which I used addons back then anyway, then I'll
continue using them. I'm just not social enough to have much need for
chat addons lol, I use Chatter on live out of habit, but the default
UI actually added most the features I originally got it for anyway so
I may use none on Classic, will see how it goes!
I ran Wim for a long time, but no longer have a chat addon (must be
CT-mod that is putting whispers into spearate windows?). I have always
runa bar mod since I detest the look and functionality of the blizzard
bars (who though page-flipping was a good idea? NO! It is not!) and the
very first addons I got were one to hide the gryphons and one to let me
customize the bars.

I am currently using dominos for that, and I have 4 small bars stacked
in the center bottom of the screen

Top row is the numpad, second row the number row (1-=), third is
control+number row, and 4th is Shift+number row.

ON the right I have two bars, one is Alt+number row and the other is
misc assignments and/or buttons with no assignments.

In addition, I have autobar which has a couple of assignments on
keybindins (num-pad * uses the quest item, num-pad . uses fishing)

I keep things as far to the edges as possible leaving the middle of the
screen for the game.
--
SUSURRATION: It's a hushed noise. But it hints of plots and secrets and
people turning to one another in surprise. It's the noise, in fact, made
cheering starts.
Catriona R
2019-08-16 22:47:15 UTC
On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 15:46:30 -0000 (UTC), Lewis
Post by Lewis
Post by Catriona R
Yep, default way is everything in the main window, absolute chaos.
That said, I'd hate extra windows appearing for whispers, that'd end
up either cluttered with extra separate windows, or else I'd always be
looking at the wrong tab and missing things in other chat, so manually
You must get a lot more whispers than I ever have. Also, it's not like
the whispers pop to the front, so they don't get in the way at all
unless you want to look at them.
Hardly ever get whispers tbh, but when I do, it tends to be a friend I
chat with for an hour plus, so having it in a regular tab rather than
having to hide other channels is helpful for me.
Post by Lewis
Like I said, I have two custom windows, and I mostly ignroe the default
general window and never look at the combat window). One widonw for /say
/party /raid /instance /guild and one for drops, skills, xp, crafting,
etc.
Makes sense, I'm used to having drops, crafting etc in the main chat
window, but I can see it'd be better organised to separate it like
that, I just don't think I could get used to it after this time!
Post by Lewis
I ran Wim for a long time, but no longer have a chat addon (must be
CT-mod that is putting whispers into spearate windows?). I have always
runa bar mod since I detest the look and functionality of the blizzard
bars (who though page-flipping was a good idea? NO! It is not!) and the
very first addons I got were one to hide the gryphons and one to let me
customize the bars.
That page flipping is a nightmare; my first ever addon would've been a
bar one, but I happened to start playing 5-6 days before the patch
which added the extra actionbars; having read the patchnotes I
realised my problem was about to be solved so didn't bother. I'm quite
happy with the default layout so have never had an actionbar addon
(with exception of an extra totembar addon in TBC/Wrath kinda time
because totem numbers were just ridiculous at their peak)
Post by Lewis
I keep things as far to the edges as possible leaving the middle of the
screen for the game.
Mostly same here; I hate all the addons that stick tons of stuff in
the centre of the screen, I don't care if it's more in line of sight,
I like to see the game not just the UI! So I mostly have everything in
default locations, actionbars around the bottom and right side,
unitframes up at the top left etc, all the cool forum types who look
down on anything that's not the in thing would probably hate my UI but
it works for me anyway.

Not sure how I ever lived without a top bar addon, I didn't get one
for a long time but clearing all those things I used to have dotted
around the screen (and a million minimap buttons!)was great; I haven't
yet got enough Classic addons to need one, but I can see it happening
before long, great way to tidy things up anyway. I don't think my
single-figure addon count will last too long lol, there'll be more
conveniences I miss before long.

Lewis
2019-08-12 16:01:58 UTC
Post by Tim Merrigan
Does anyone know the symbolism of Warcraft's grave marker, and
They came up with something that would not indicate any religion to any
players, though there are a surprising number of wow players who claim
the Alliance is "Christian".

I avoid those people for the loonies they are.
--
Vader means father in German.
Oh, you know German. Now I know why you don't like fun things.