Elysium WoW (Vanilla)
Shinnokxz
2017-05-30 01:40:45 UTC
Gotta say, can't see what the complaints are with revisiting old WoW. I heard many claim "It's the nostalgia clouding memories- no one REALLY wants to go back and play through that!"

Well, I returned to my Warrior roots and rolled a NE (Was horde back in the day) and have been delighted just dinging level 50. If anything would be a deterring factor, it would be leveling a dredge Warrior on a vanilla server.

Recently, I had a great group that rummaged for all the Mauradon quests for an hour, met up, and cleaned the place from head to toe (took about 3 hours). Seeing the beauty of that instance and recalling how difficult it could be if people weren't playing their best really brought it all back.
Catriona R
2017-05-30 16:25:37 UTC
On Mon, 29 May 2017 18:40:45 -0700 (PDT), Shinnokxz
Post by Shinnokxz
Gotta say, can't see what the complaints are with revisiting old WoW. I heard many claim "It's the nostalgia clouding memories- no one REALLY wants to go back and play through that!"
Well, I returned to my Warrior roots and rolled a NE (Was horde back in the day) and have been delighted just dinging level 50. If anything would be a deterring factor, it would be leveling a dredge Warrior on a vanilla server.
Recently, I had a great group that rummaged for all the Mauradon quests for an hour, met up, and cleaned the place from head to toe (took about 3 hours). Seeing the beauty of that instance and recalling how difficult it could be if people weren't playing their best really brought it all back.
I had a fantastic time on Nostalrius last year - it's not *only*
nostalgia, or I wouldn't have lasted the entire 6 month lifespan of
the PVE server there. The main thing for me is that levelling felt
meaningful - certainly, many people hate it but I'm not among the
"rush to endgame asap" brigade - I LOVE exploring the world,
travelling all over on those gigantic chains that sent you everywhere.
What post-Cata quest chain sticks in the mind like the Missing
Diplomat or the Alliance Onyxia chain?

I don't play vanilla at present; obviously Nost was shut down, I
levelled on Magic but that never really took off, once Legion came out
my friends and I all moved on. I did copy my Nost account to Elysium
in the short period that was available, but the some from my guild
couldn't get their copies working, some had their accounts hacked,
plus I'd kinda lost faith in private servers so I'm on Legion and
GuildWars 2 now instead. Probably my account's been hacked too by now
lol, been months since I checked :-P

But if Blizzard ever offer official classic servers I will absolutely
be there. Give me a permanent official server where my characters will
be safe, where all the scripting is done right (private servers are a
pretty good replica but I've got too good a memory of the old quests,
so it grates a bit where it isn't the same!), and I'd definitely be
happy to pay for it. If only Blizzard would decide it's a worthwhile
project...
Peter T.
2017-05-30 18:03:25 UTC
Post by Catriona R
But if Blizzard ever offer official classic servers I will absolutely
be there.
I cancelled my sub back in march as 7.2 was another grind so I'm not
updated. Any rumors about official vanilla servers?
Peter T.
Catriona R
2017-05-31 00:53:52 UTC
Post by Peter T.
Post by Catriona R
But if Blizzard ever offer official classic servers I will absolutely
be there.
I cancelled my sub back in march as 7.2 was another grind so I'm not
updated. Any rumors about official vanilla servers?
Nothing, been a deafening silence ever since the Nostalrius
explosion. I'm thinking they're just hoping by ignoring it people will
stop asking, so I don't really have much hopeof it now, but hey, maybe
someday. Nostalrius proved there's a market for it - whether that
market is big enough to be worth their while is another question.

And yeah you're not missing a lot with 7.2 - Broken Shore is a
disappointment after how amazing Suramar 7.1 was, oh well it gives me
time to catch up a bit (having missed several months and now juggling
2 games), I'm aiming to actually get my first Gul'Dan kill tomorrow's
reset... (yes, on LFR, that's how far behind I am lol). In fairness
7.2 isn't terrible, it certainly beats 6.1 (eh, not hard!), but it's a
bit lacking in storyline.

However I've got plenty other stuff to do anyway, including pet/mount
runs in old content (the 7.1 pets in Northrend raids are driving me
mad, three of them just refuse to drop, I actually got Mimiron's Head
before any of them for goodness sake; not that I'm complaining there
lol ;-)), trying to complete my Nighthold LFR transmog set (very
reminiscent of priest tier 1 in colours), emissaries and world quests
in general for multiple different things... plenty to do in my reduced
playing time. Suspect I'd be bored if I wasn't also playing Guild Wars
2 though, luckily that game's still in the "new stuff!" phase for me,
and I'm deliberately taking my time working through it, thoroughly
exploring each zone before I move on.

Fun comparing the two games, both have different strengths and
weaknesses, but the one thing GW2 does that WoW doesn't is massive
open world events; you help NPCs with various stuff in a chain of
events, which get bigger and tougher, till it leads up to killing big
bosses on a par with WoW's world bosses. Tons of loot and exp along
the way and seeing a huugge group of people working together is fun,
I'd enjoy seeing that kinda thing in WoW. They're got mob scaling
right in that game too - everyone shares a tag (rather than only 5 in
WoW) but the more people in an area the more mobs spawn in events and
the tougher they are, so if you get a massive zerg running around
together you get really tough mobs that drop good loot, while if
there's hardly anyone around, it's still possible to complete most
events for the event rewards.
Lewis
2017-06-26 00:12:21 UTC
Post by Shinnokxz
Gotta say, can't see what the complaints are with revisiting old WoW.
I heard many claim "It's the nostalgia clouding memories- no one
REALLY wants to go back and play through that!"
The complain is that people are pirating Blizzard's software, stealing
their IP, and potentially decreasing subscriber numbers for the actual
game.
Post by Catriona R
But if Blizzard ever offer official classic servers I will absolutely
be there.
I doubt they will. It's far too much effort for far too little returns.

And vanilla was a bug-ridden mess. I looked back at my account history
and during Vanilla I got over 30 days of free play time because of
server downtime.
NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR ABOUT MY SCIATICA Bart chalkboard Ep. AABF09
Catriona R
2017-06-26 01:12:26 UTC
Post by Shinnokxz
Gotta say, can't see what the complaints are with revisiting old WoW.
I heard many claim "It's the nostalgia clouding memories- no one
REALLY wants to go back and play through that!"
The complain is that people are pirating Blizzard's software, stealing
their IP, and potentially decreasing subscriber numbers for the actual
game.
*That* complaint is a partially valid one, and why I always maintained
both my live subs while I was playing vanilla last year (and one of
the reasons I'm no longer playing it). I've always felt it's not
morally "pirating" if it cannot be legally played though; I *want* to
give Blizzard my money for it, but they don't seem to want it...

However many people certainly express it in the way Shinnokxz said,
implying that just because they personally don't want to play vanilla,
nobody else could possibly want it, which is just plain wrong IMO!
Might be only a minority of us (almost certainly is tbh), but it's a
sizeable minority!
Post by Lewis
Post by Catriona R
But if Blizzard ever offer official classic servers I will absolutely
be there.
I doubt they will. It's far too much effort for far too little returns.
Sadly I suspect you're right, although I still hope it might happen
anyway. Although the returns may not be that low, 15k online
simultaneously at EU peak times when I was playing, on only one (pair
of) servers, continuing to similar numbers at US peak times, and a
third peak at Chinese peak... got to be 30-40k plus per day there
(probably a low guesstimate, given many people do not have time to
play many hours every day), and that on a server which the vast
majority of the potential market will have never heard of, it only got
well known when it was shut down.

I do think official servers promoted by Blizzard would gain higher
numbers, even when you remove those who aren't keen enough to pay for
it. No, it won't be much compared with live WoW, but the numbers might
well be pretty decent in the kinda terms any other MMO deals in...
Post by Lewis
And vanilla was a bug-ridden mess. I looked back at my account history
and during Vanilla I got over 30 days of free play time because of
server downtime.
In fairness much of that was more down to server hardware unable to
handle the load than bugs; the server downtime free days stopped at
pretty much the same time the servers were all upgraded hehe. And it'd
be easy enough to tell people to cope with the old bugs; they wanted
vanilla experience, they got it lol - it'll be a lot less buggy than
private servers anyway...
Tim Merrigan
2017-06-26 03:06:16 UTC
Post by Lewis
And vanilla was a bug-ridden mess. I looked back at my account history
and during Vanilla I got over 30 days of free play time because of
server downtime.
In fairness much of that was more down to server hardware unable to
handle the load than bugs; the server downtime free days stopped at
pretty much the same time the servers were all upgraded hehe. And it'd
be easy enough to tell people to cope with the old bugs; they wanted
vanilla experience, they got it lol - it'll be a lot less buggy than
private servers anyway...
I've never played vanilla, having started with MoP, but I would like
to explore pre cataclysm Azshara. The Barrens, before the were split.
Thousand Needles before it was flooded, etc. (Or, for that mater, pre
Sha Pandaria. What's with destroying the world before we've barely
started exploring it, anyway?)
and to the republic which it established, one nation, from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.
Feel free to use the above variant pledge in your own postings.

Tim Merrigan
Catriona R
2017-06-26 14:07:52 UTC
Post by Tim Merrigan
I've never played vanilla, having started with MoP, but I would like
to explore pre cataclysm Azshara. The Barrens, before the were split.
Thousand Needles before it was flooded, etc. (Or, for that mater, pre
Sha Pandaria. What's with destroying the world before we've barely
started exploring it, anyway?)
You can see a bit of old Azshara when you do the Huln Highmountain
quests (and the Val'Sharah world quest that sends you there too) -
obviously it's missing the original mobs and quests (there were hardly
any quests there anyway) but the actual landscape is the pre-Cata one
:-) Also when the pvp brawl Southshore vs Tarren Mill is up, you get
original Hillsbrad Foothills with non-wrecked Southshore there (the
dungeon Old Hillsbrad is closer to the original than the present day,
too). There's not a lot else you can experience ingame though, other
than Theramore and Blasted Lands where you can talk to a nearby bronze
dragon to phase back to the old versions.

As to the rest, only answer is private servers at present, or various
old videos and photos, not the same as experiencing it yourself! And I
do wish they'd allowed a way to phase Vale of Eternal Blossoms rather
than just having it wrecked for everybody, the pre-Garrosh version was
much nicer, and if they'd thought to phase it, we could've had a
healing process in a patch to fill the gap after Siege of Orgrimmar.

Still, I guess the current way of totally removing old content is less
jarring than what Guild Wars 2 has, where the main city was destroyed
and rebuilt completely differently during a major storyline that's no
longer playable, so newer players like me have only ever known the new
version - BUT we get sent to an instance of the *old* version of the
city for various story quests, which is incredibly confusing when
suddenly everything looks completely different!
Shinnokxz
TBH, after have spent some time doing an Azuregos group a few weeks back, I'd almost attest that Azshara is probably better on a video. Though the place is gorgeous, especially out towards the eastern sea, boy is it just a bloomin nightmare to navigate. It's like the zone design team got together and took mushrooms, and the result concept was no story, no flow, but just hours and hours of radical scenery and geography that they forgot to make fun to move around in.
Catriona R
2017-06-30 12:57:03 UTC
On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 20:30:37 -0700 (PDT), Shinnokxz
Post by Shinnokxz
Post by Catriona R
You can see a bit of old Azshara when you do the Huln Highmountain
quests (and the Val'Sharah world quest that sends you there too) -
obviously it's missing the original mobs and quests (there were hardly
any quests there anyway)
TBH, after have spent some time doing an Azuregos group a few weeks back, I'd almost attest that Azshara is probably better on a video. Though the place is gorgeous, especially out towards the eastern sea, boy is it just a bloomin nightmare to navigate. It's like the zone design team got together and took mushrooms, and the result concept was no story, no flow, but just hours and hours of radical scenery and geography that they forgot to make fun to move around in.
Haha, so so true. And soo many elites to try and dodge that hit like
trucks, too - on Nost, at 60 in dungeon blues, if I blew ALL my cds
(including at least one healing pot/whipper root tuber) I could kill
one giant... if it didn't crit me lol. At least being a rogue I had
vanish, anyone else had a world of pain getting past all those mobs if
they happened to aggro one... beautiful zone but not very friendly!
Shinnokxz
2017-06-30 03:09:02 UTC
I subbed MoP -> WoD for about 3 months and got more free days than I ever remember on my Vanilla subscription. Nothing has changed there
Lewis
2017-06-30 15:39:26 UTC
Post by Shinnokxz
Post by Lewis
And vanilla was a bug-ridden mess. I looked back at my account history
and during Vanilla I got over 30 days of free play time because of
server downtime.
I subbed MoP -> WoD for about 3 months and got more free days than I ever remember on my Vanilla subscription. Nothing has changed there
What in the world are you talking about? It's been years since server
downtime led to free days being added to the account.
Every man over forty is a scoundrel.
Catriona R
2017-06-30 23:18:26 UTC
On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 15:39:26 -0000 (UTC), Lewis
Post by Lewis
Post by Shinnokxz
Post by Lewis
And vanilla was a bug-ridden mess. I looked back at my account history
and during Vanilla I got over 30 days of free play time because of
server downtime.
I subbed MoP -> WoD for about 3 months and got more free days than I ever remember on my Vanilla subscription. Nothing has changed there
What in the world are you talking about? It's been years since server
downtime led to free days being added to the account.
I know I got some at WoD launch as it was just unplayable for the
first week,enormous lag garrison instances broken so you couldn't
progress questchains, 6 hour queues to even log in at all... yeah.
That was worth 5 days according to my sub history (got curious so
looked it up), first free days since 2009, they've done a pretty
decent job over the years.
Lewis
2017-07-01 15:41:06 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Shinnokxz
Post by Lewis
And vanilla was a bug-ridden mess. I looked back at my account history
and during Vanilla I got over 30 days of free play time because of
server downtime.
I subbed MoP -> WoD for about 3 months and got more free days than I ever remember on my Vanilla subscription. Nothing has changed there
What in the world are you talking about? It's been years since server
downtime led to free days being added to the account.
I know I got some at WoD launch as it was just unplayable for the
first week,enormous lag garrison instances broken so you couldn't
progress questchains, 6 hour queues to even log in at all... yeah.
I saw nothing like that. I think there were some bugged quests, but no
issues with garrisons and no issues with instances other than the
occasional times there were too many instances to create a new one.

I *might* have had a long queue one day when Battle.net and login
servers came up but the world servers were not. That sound familiar, but
it wasn't anything like 6 hours.
Post by Catriona R
That was worth 5 days according to my sub history (got curious so
looked it up), first free days since 2009, they've done a pretty
decent job over the years.
Just checked. The last time I got play-time credit was 31 March 2010.
THE PRESIDENT DID IT IS NOT AN EXCUSE Bart chalkboard Ep. AABF05
Catriona R
2017-07-01 18:07:38 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Shinnokxz
Post by Lewis
And vanilla was a bug-ridden mess. I looked back at my account history
and during Vanilla I got over 30 days of free play time because of
server downtime.
I subbed MoP -> WoD for about 3 months and got more free days than I ever remember on my Vanilla subscription. Nothing has changed there
What in the world are you talking about? It's been years since server
downtime led to free days being added to the account.
I know I got some at WoD launch as it was just unplayable for the
first week,enormous lag garrison instances broken so you couldn't
progress questchains, 6 hour queues to even log in at all... yeah.
I saw nothing like that. I think there were some bugged quests, but no
issues with garrisons and no issues with instances other than the
occasional times there were too many instances to create a new one.
I think you're in the US, right? Might've been more issues in Europe,
or else it was just specific servers, and as mine was a VERY high pop
server it got hit harder. It certainly was very bad for my realm, some
days my bf couldn't play at all as by the time he got through the
queue he had to go to bed - and this when I'd turned his pc on 2 hours
before he was due to get home from work to get him in the queue good
and early.

The one positive to that experience was Blizz rapidly adding the
sharding tech to let more people be logged in at a time without adding
more lag, which I'm delighted with; my realm had had massive login
queues right from Cata launch, only getting worse with time (as for
some reason it never occurred to anyone to put a halt on server
transfers into a server that regularly had 2 hour queues), and
enormous lag and overcrowding issues in any new content, all cured
since they split us into multiple phases where it gets too busy :-)
Post by Catriona R
That was worth 5 days according to my sub history (got curious so
looked it up), first free days since 2009, they've done a pretty
decent job over the years.
Just checked. The last time I got play-time credit was 31 March 2010.
Cool, it's great to see how reliable they've got it these days that
it's so rarely needed, the WoD launch problems really stood out to me
as it'd been so long since anything like that happened, usually get a
bit of lag and the odd server hiccup at expansion launch, but nothing
that bad. By contrast Legion shocked me in that it had NO problems at
all the first few days, the sharding tech really did do its work as we
never had the huge pile of people stuck on bottleneck quests, no
lagginess... smoothest expansion launch I've known.
unknown
2017-07-08 01:11:01 UTC
Post by Catriona R
That was worth 5 days according to my sub history (got curious so
looked it up), first free days since 2009, they've done a pretty
decent job over the years.
Just checked. The last time I got play-time credit was 31 March 2010.
532 minutes queue typical for the first week or so
Couldn't complete garrison,couldn't leave garrison at times, couldn't
get back in to garrison if you did leave.
All fixed fairly quickly but the first week getting half a dozen chars
through was pretty much queue time
I did get a few days at Wod start but can't check atm

start of event explains it
'omg 2 mins to mount?'

---
Peter T.
2017-07-09 09:29:11 UTC
Post by unknown
start of event explains it
https://s20.postimg.org/yiwoovpd9/Wo_WScrn_Shot_111314_181746edit.jpg
'omg 2 mins to mount?'
!!! :D
Peter T.
Tim Merrigan
2017-07-10 01:18:17 UTC
Post by Peter T.
Post by unknown
start of event explains it
https://s20.postimg.org/yiwoovpd9/Wo_WScrn_Shot_111314_181746edit.jpg
'omg 2 mins to mount?'
!!! :D
I think he needs to turn off some of his identifiers. Given the
options I'd rather see the screen than know who everyone on it is.

BTW what's a Death Knight PC doing in vanilla?

Tim Merrigan
Simon Lamont
2017-07-10 08:43:44 UTC
Post by Tim Merrigan
Post by Peter T.
Post by unknown
start of event explains it
https://s20.postimg.org/yiwoovpd9/Wo_WScrn_Shot_111314_181746edit.jpg
'omg 2 mins to mount?'
!!! :D
I think he needs to turn off some of his identifiers. Given the
options I'd rather see the screen than know who everyone on it is.
BTW what's a Death Knight PC doing in vanilla?
It's not from the BC launch, it's from the WoD launch. The characters
are level 90 and the quest log (not there - or at least not like that -
in vanilla, IIRC) shows the breadcrumb quest for WoD. :)
Tim Merrigan
2017-07-10 19:30:43 UTC
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 09:43:44 +0100, Simon Lamont
Post by Simon Lamont
Post by Tim Merrigan
Post by Peter T.
Post by unknown
start of event explains it
https://s20.postimg.org/yiwoovpd9/Wo_WScrn_Shot_111314_181746edit.jpg
'omg 2 mins to mount?'
!!! :D
I think he needs to turn off some of his identifiers. Given the
options I'd rather see the screen than know who everyone on it is.
BTW what's a Death Knight PC doing in vanilla?
It's not from the BC launch, it's from the WoD launch. The characters
are level 90 and the quest log (not there - or at least not like that -
in vanilla, IIRC) shows the breadcrumb quest for WoD. :)
Thanks, there was too much crap on the screen to see where it was, but
I did see that it was a level 90 DK, but this is an Elysium vanilla
thread, thus my question. I've done that quest tree a few times now,
but it was never that crowded. OTOH I don't do anything on launch
day.

Tim Merrigan
Shinnokxz
2017-06-30 03:25:36 UTC
Post by Lewis
The complain is that people are pirating Blizzard's software, stealing
their IP, and potentially decreasing subscriber numbers for the actual
game.
Since it's a non-profit endeavor, what makes WoW so special over the decades of AAA games that constantly get pirated on the PC? The laughable DRMs that never do anything except inconvenience paying customers? The problem with the whole matter is that Blizz geeks think the software belongs on a tier above all else, so reasoning be damned- the Blizz/activision value has been compromised in their minds.

WoW's waning subscriber base is authoritatively of Blizzard's own doing, and in a lot of ways, these Vanilla servers are actually serving purpose for Blizzard by organizing longtime fans into remembering and valuing the Warcraft brand they once loved- looking past the current iterations of garbage DLC virtual card games and repeatedly botched expansion packs to a nearly 14 year platform.

The truth to the matter is that even if Blizzard goes after Elysium (which it being amongst the biggest, but there are many many out there), this will never end for them. I think that's why their crusade went so quiet after the uproar of Nostalrius.

I believe that if Lewis allowed himself a week to assimilate with one of these Vanilla servers, he would see how polished a lot of things are about it and that the premise is not as vagrant as the pious Blizzard worshippers make it out to be.

-Handlotion [Level 60 Night Elf Warrior, getting feared into a group of Necromancers by a bat patrol in Stratholme]
Lewis
2017-06-30 15:41:50 UTC
Post by Shinnokxz
Post by Lewis
The complain is that people are pirating Blizzard's software, stealing
their IP, and potentially decreasing subscriber numbers for the actual
game.
I believe that if Lewis allowed himself a week to assimilate with one
of these Vanilla servers, he would see how polished a lot of things
are about it and that the premise is not as vagrant as the pious
Blizzard worshippers make it out to be.
Thanks. I remember vanilla very well and I have no interest in going
back to it. If TBC hadn't come along when it did I would have quit WoW.
"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed."
Catriona R
2017-11-07 05:19:05 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Catriona R
But if Blizzard ever offer official classic servers I will absolutely
be there.
I doubt they will. It's far too much effort for far too little returns.
Sadly I suspect you're right, although I still hope it might happen
anyway.

Looks like we were both wrong then :-) Totally shocked when that one
came out, wasn't a hint of it beforehand, completely made my day
anyway, now I just hope they don't cave to all the people wanting to
make it softer, and just give us a true vanilla experience! If it is
accurate, then fantastic; no more feeling bad about it being
unofficial, no threat of shutdown, way better account security, far
fewer bugs, everything correctly scripted, just great :-)

Bit sad that I'm tons more excited about the classic server than the
expansion though, horde vs alliance is just so old by now (frankly I
was really hoping for softening the faction barriers, they spent half
the opening ceremony going on about "togetherness" and "friendship",
all of which doesn't count if your friends didn't choose the same
colour, apparently :-P), and there wasn't really enough info on
anything else to excite me. However I do love the artwork, especially
the Zandalari theme; having my home area being something I actually
really like instead of primitive huts or tons of metal and spikes will
be great, so that's helping me put up with the rest of it lol.

Anyone here still playing? Or playing anything else? I was still inWoW
until a couple of months back when Guild Wars 2 expansion hit, that
took me away for a month, now I'm playing WoW a little again, but
still got a lot I want to work on in GW2. I'll get more into WoW again
when the levelling changes come with 7.3.5; the thought of being able
to do a whole zone without it going grey, and to be able to do ALL of
Outland or Northrend instead of always skipping the later zones is
great (Netherstorm and Storm Peaks were two of my favourites), I look
forward to seeing some places I've not done at an appropriate lvl for
many years!
John Gordon
2017-11-07 15:38:49 UTC
Post by Catriona R
Anyone here still playing? Or playing anything else? I was still inWoW
I quit last summer, mainly due to a feeling of "been there, done that."
Sure, there will always be new expansions, new zones, etc. But the core
game hasn't changed, and I'd reached my fill of it.

Right now I'm playing Hearthstone and Disney Tsum Tsum.
***@panix.com B is for Basil, assaulted by bears
Catriona R
2017-11-07 16:20:19 UTC
On Tue, 7 Nov 2017 15:38:49 +0000 (UTC), John Gordon
Post by John Gordon
Post by Catriona R
Anyone here still playing? Or playing anything else? I was still inWoW
I quit last summer, mainly due to a feeling of "been there, done that."
Sure, there will always be new expansions, new zones, etc. But the core
game hasn't changed, and I'd reached my fill of it.
Can understand that, I'm not done with it yet but less excited than
before, GW2 is filling a gap for me, as although it's another MMO, it
plays out in a very different way, also suits my playstyle well, and
I'm still learning about the background story, rather than knowing
almost all of it after 12 years playing!
Post by John Gordon
Right now I'm playing Hearthstone and Disney Tsum Tsum.
I enjoyed Hearthstone a lot when it came out, but found I just
couldn't keep up with all the new stuff, I'm just lost now. Saw a
singleplayer mode announced at Blizzcon though, which gives you a
random set of cards to work with I think, that might work, I preferred
arena towards the end of my time there, due to my lack of deck not
mattering, but it was a pain to raise the gold to enter, maybe this
new mode will work for me. Hope so, I love the graphics and overall
feel of the game!
Peter T.
2017-11-09 13:35:06 UTC
Post by Catriona R
http://youtu.be/TcZyiYOzsSw
SUBSCRIBE! :D

I read about WoW classic 2 days ago and was hilarious. And I hope it
will be the long walk in the desert as I remember it was back in vanilla. :)
Post by Catriona R
Anyone here still playing? Or playing anything else?
Fallout 3 2-3 hours a week. I barely play any games atm. Work, sleep,
work, sleep, work, sleep...
Peter T.
Catriona R
2017-11-10 04:03:57 UTC
Post by Peter T.
Post by Catriona R
http://youtu.be/TcZyiYOzsSw
SUBSCRIBE! :D
I read about WoW classic 2 days ago and was hilarious. And I hope it
will be the long walk in the desert as I remember it was back in vanilla. :)
I'm sure it will be, can't imagine blizz listening to the people who
want faster levelling at least, although I have fears for the smaller
changes being spammed all over forums. Given there's no way to keep
everyone happy, it seems to be "no change" should be the default
position, rather than arguments over how much change lol. We'll see,
I'm on the purist side of things but so long as levelling is broadly
the same and I can have my old model (with the old animations), I'll
be there!
Ouch, that sucks, nerf work!
Lewis
2017-11-10 12:49:56 UTC
Post by Catriona R
Post by Peter T.
Post by Catriona R
http://youtu.be/TcZyiYOzsSw
SUBSCRIBE! :D
I read about WoW classic 2 days ago and was hilarious. And I hope it
will be the long walk in the desert as I remember it was back in vanilla. :)
I'm sure it will be, can't imagine blizz listening to the people who
want faster levelling at least, although I have fears for the smaller
changes being spammed all over forums. Given there's no way to keep
everyone happy, it seems to be "no change" should be the default
position, rather than arguments over how much change lol. We'll see,
I'm on the purist side of things but so long as levelling is broadly
the same and I can have my old model (with the old animations), I'll
be there!
Don't forget the random server crashes. Those where the best. Remember
beign in Ironforge, unabel to leave, and the nly thing that worked was
/1 (and /2, but onyl for people in ironforge)? Why, it makes me
misty-eyed.

The funniest thing, of course, is that the "Classic" server is going to
be an unmitigated disaster since it is impossible to get any two people
to agree on WHICH version of "vanilla" they want. Pre PVP system?
Pre-Nax? The one with the teleport guys because the ships crashed the
servers?

As far as I know, the original character animations no-longer exist
(according to someone I know who used to work at Blizzard), so people
will be enraged about that.
Can I tell you the truth? I mean this isn't like TV news, is it?
Catriona R
2017-11-11 02:37:47 UTC
On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 12:49:56 -0000 (UTC), Lewis
Post by Lewis
Post by Catriona R
Post by Peter T.
Post by Catriona R
[...]
Well it's pretty obvious that stuff like that will be fixed, nobody is
arguing that obvious gamebreaking stuff shouldn't be fixed (other than
trolls who want it to fail).
Post by Lewis
The funniest thing, of course, is that the "Classic" server is going to
be an unmitigated disaster since it is impossible to get any two people
to agree on WHICH version of "vanilla" they want. Pre PVP system?
Pre-Nax? The one with the teleport guys because the ships crashed the
servers?
Nah, that won't be the problem, it'll be convincing people to stop
wanting stuff that was NEVER in vanilla... *sigh*. I'd take any
version of actual vanilla; ideally start at the beginning and work
through each patch, to see the full development, but if that's too
much development needed and it has to be 1.12, then fine. Wouldn't
mind much if it was anything in between, either, although I can see
the game was at its most polished by 1.12 so that would probably be
the preferable version, can timegate raids without much issue.

Nostalrius had a full content unlock, where they recreated a lot of
the content release timetable, couldn't do anything about class
balance/client UI but they did enable dungeons, pvp, factions,
questlines etc at the right "patch"; seeing as Blizzard have been
talking with Nost guys, they might consider that as a middle ground
option.
Post by Lewis
As far as I know, the original character animations no-longer exist
(according to someone I know who used to work at Blizzard), so people
will be enraged about that.
They most certainly do exist, at least they worked perfectly well on
Nostalrius and other private servers. Trust me, I'd have noticed if
I'd been stuck with the truly awful new run animation on my human male
:-P
Lewis
2017-11-11 06:48:52 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Catriona R
Post by Peter T.
Post by Catriona R
[...]
I've heard MANY people pining for the teleport guys at Menethil Harbor.
Post by Catriona R
Post by Lewis
The funniest thing, of course, is that the "Classic" server is going to
be an unmitigated disaster since it is impossible to get any two people
to agree on WHICH version of "vanilla" they want. Pre PVP system?
Pre-Nax? The one with the teleport guys because the ships crashed the
servers?
Nah, that won't be the problem, it'll be convincing people to stop
wanting stuff that was NEVER in vanilla
As far as I can tell the majority of people claiming to want vanilla
servers never played vanilla.
I DID NOT SEE ELVIS Bart chalkboard Ep. 7G07
Tim Merrigan
2017-11-11 19:18:58 UTC
On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 06:48:52 -0000 (UTC), Lewis
Post by Lewis
As far as I can tell the majority of people claiming to want vanilla
servers never played vanilla.
I started with MoP. One of the main reasons I'd like to see Vanilla
is to see the landscape before it was destroyed by Cataclysm, and the
"cultures" before they were corrupted by being converted to scourge
and/or forsaken.

For instance Thousand Needles, before it was flooded. Or the Plague
Lands, before they became the Plague Lands, or Ashenvale when it was
an Elven stronghold. Or Lodramar or Gilnies before they fell. Etc.

Tim Merrigan
Catriona R
2017-11-11 22:29:31 UTC
Post by Lewis
As far as I can tell the majority of people claiming to want vanilla
servers never played vanilla.
I started with MoP. One of the main reasons I'd like to see Vanilla
is to see the landscape before it was destroyed by Cataclysm, and the
"cultures" before they were corrupted by being converted to scourge
and/or forsaken.
For instance Thousand Needles, before it was flooded. Or the Plague
Lands, before they became the Plague Lands, or Ashenvale when it was
an Elven stronghold. Or Lodramar or Gilnies before they fell. Etc.
I'm always happy to see people who want to see it as it was - some
things changed a LOT, and are well worth seeing :-) A good number of
epic questchains were lost in Cata, the original Alliance Onyxia chain
was amazing, for example, one of the first things I ever saw in the
game (I was about lvl 10!) was an event in Stormwind from that chain,
which really made me want to learn more and experience it for myself.
Probably a bit tame compared with modern WoW's events and scenarios,
but at the time it was awesome, and the story still is cool to me.

I do prefer it when such people are willing to accept the game as it
really was and not request a ton of changes before it's even made
though lol - debates over which version of vanilla are fair (having
spent tonight reading old patchnotes, wow, I forgot how many things
improved during its lifespan - and I see a ton of exploits and
gamebreaking bugs that Blizz will have to fix regardless of which
version they use), but I do think people asking for things that
weren't in vanilla don't actually want vanilla... they should just
wait a bit and campaign for Wrath servers instead!
Tim Merrigan
2017-11-10 19:25:39 UTC
On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 04:03:57 +0000, Catriona R
Post by Catriona R
Post by Peter T.
Post by Catriona R
Anyone here still playing? Or playing anything else?
Fallout 3 2-3 hours a week. I barely play any games atm. Work, sleep,
work, sleep, work, sleep...
Ouch, that sucks, nerf work!
I think leveling is too fast as it is. I can't play through a single
zone without leveling past the next zone level, and sometimes the next
two. PVE solo, every class, every race, only do dungeons when I have
to and never do raids.

(Back when I played D&D, I played the character I rolled, with no
minimaxing.)

Tim Merrigan
IYM
2017-11-10 19:51:35 UTC
Post by Catriona R
Post by Peter T.
Post by Catriona R
Anyone here still playing? Or playing anything else?
Fallout 3 2-3 hours a week. I barely play any games atm. Work, sleep,
work, sleep, work, sleep...
Ouch, that sucks, nerf work!
I think leveling is too fast as it is. I can't play through a single
zone without leveling past the next zone level, and sometimes the next
two. PVE solo, every class, every race, only do dungeons when I have
to and never do raids.
(Back when I played D&D, I played the character I rolled, with no
minimaxing.)
Agreed - Make it Vanilla, fix the bugs, deploy patches that would
prevent known issues like the "corrupted blood" incident from happening
again (heh) , and deploy. I think some of the crash issues would be
potentially fixed with the newer servers/hardware running it. Don't
know how long it would last though. Eventually, everyone will have
toons at level 40 and without an expansion to go to, eventually it would
end, wouldn't it? I don't know if it's something I'd be interested in
but maybe. My neighbor is genuinely excited for it....He keeps talking
about the fun of doing quests that don't sparkle, and that you have to
actually figure out and find, raids, running and the unforgiving nature
of when you screw up that there was no easy way to fix it other than
more hard work. Forgetting to set your hearthstone really will piss you
off..lol...He said "when WoW was actually hard and made you work for
everything - you actually appreciated stuff you had because you worked
your ass for it."
Catriona R
2017-11-11 02:44:59 UTC
Post by IYM
[...]
Couldn't agree more on the appreciating the little things, I miss the
days when one levelup felt great, and getting your first mount was
huge :-) I think you're right about population dropping off later, due
to the maxing at 60 thing... but then some people have been playing
private servers for years, and other than having to restart every few
months when the server gets shut down, apparently aren't bored yet, so
might well be more than I think.

I will run out of stuff to do at max lvl; I'm a mainly solo player and
Legion max lvl suits me far better, but I will love the levelling and
early days at 60 so much, I'll happily do that several times over, at
a couple of months plus per character - and hey, I already have WoW
and GW2 competing for my time, so it's a good thing for me that I
won't want to play classic fulltime as well... I can dip in and have
fun when the other games aren't taking my attention.
Peter T.
2017-11-11 10:22:13 UTC
Post by IYM
deploy patches that would
prevent known issues like the "corrupted blood" incident from happening
again (heh)
Nooooooooooooo....! I've read about it. I wanna see it happen! :D
Peter T.
Lewis
2017-11-11 15:40:34 UTC
Post by Peter T.
Post by IYM
deploy patches that would
prevent known issues like the "corrupted blood" incident from happening
again (heh)
Nooooooooooooo....! I've read about it. I wanna see it happen! :D
It was remarkable, fascinating, and bloody annoying if you were trying to
get something done.
You are in my inappropriate thoughts
Catriona R
2017-11-11 18:04:14 UTC
On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 15:40:34 -0000 (UTC), Lewis
Post by Lewis
Post by Peter T.
Post by IYM
deploy patches that would
prevent known issues like the "corrupted blood" incident from happening
again (heh)
Nooooooooooooo....! I've read about it. I wanna see it happen! :D
It was remarkable, fascinating, and bloody annoying if you were trying to
get something done.
I have a feeling I missed that, as I don't remember it, heard plenty
about it though. It would be really cool if they enabled it for just a
day or two as a little ingame event to commemorate it :-)
Lewis
2017-11-11 18:58:59 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Peter T.
Post by IYM
deploy patches that would
prevent known issues like the "corrupted blood" incident from happening
again (heh)
Nooooooooooooo....! I've read about it. I wanna see it happen! :D
It was remarkable, fascinating, and bloody annoying if you were trying to
get something done.
I have a feeling I missed that, as I don't remember it, heard plenty
about it though. It would be really cool if they enabled it for just a
day or two as a little ingame event to commemorate it :-)
It only lasted a few of days in the first place. Maybe a week?
--
I've never seen religious faith move mountains, but I've seen what it does
to skyscrapers.
Catriona R
2017-11-11 22:45:31 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Peter T.
Post by IYM
deploy patches that would
prevent known issues like the "corrupted blood" incident from happening
again (heh)
Nooooooooooooo....! I've read about it. I wanna see it happen! :D
It was remarkable, fascinating, and bloody annoying if you were trying to
get something done.
I have a feeling I missed that, as I don't remember it, heard plenty
about it though. It would be really cool if they enabled it for just a
day or two as a little ingame event to commemorate it :-)
It only lasted a few of days in the first place. Maybe a week?
I thought that too, but depends which source you read, wowpedia says
it lasted the duration of 1.7, September 13th to October 10th, while
wikipedia says one week. I think the one week may be more accurate, as
I checked my own character dates and my then main was created on
September 21st - as a little lowbie I'd have been pretty likely to die
to it many times, but I don't remember it at all! Possibly my server
just didn't have any guild advanced enough to reach Hakkar and set it
off, or else it was fixed before I got there.

Either way it'd be pretty cool to put it in for a really short time,
to minimise disruption but give people some memories, considering how
famous it was :-)
Lewis
2017-11-12 03:50:00 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Peter T.
Post by IYM
deploy patches that would
prevent known issues like the "corrupted blood" incident from happening
again (heh)
Nooooooooooooo....! I've read about it. I wanna see it happen! :D
It was remarkable, fascinating, and bloody annoying if you were trying to
get something done.
I have a feeling I missed that, as I don't remember it, heard plenty
about it though. It would be really cool if they enabled it for just a
day or two as a little ingame event to commemorate it :-)
It only lasted a few of days in the first place. Maybe a week?
I thought that too, but depends which source you read, wowpedia says
it lasted the duration of 1.7, September 13th to October 10th
No way it was a month.
Post by Catriona R
while wikipedia says one week. I think the one week may be more
accurate, as I checked my own character dates and my then main was
created on September 21st - as a little lowbie I'd have been pretty
likely to die to it many times, but I don't remember it at all!
Possibly my server just didn't have any guild advanced enough to reach
Hakkar and set it off, or else it was fixed before I got there.
I think it's possible to check when AQ opened on a server, but I don't
remember how.
Post by Catriona R
Either way it'd be pretty cool to put it in for a really short time,
to minimise disruption but give people some memories, considering how
famous it was :-)
It was famous at the TIME for causing a lot of people to be very angry.
It was famous later on because it turned out to be a fascinating ans
useful model for how infectious diseases spread.
--
"My parents were unwilling to secure the necessary eagle's eggs and lion
semen"
skibber
2017-11-12 09:45:08 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Catriona R
Either way it'd be pretty cool to put it in for a really short time,
to minimise disruption but give people some memories, considering how
famous it was :-)
It was famous at the TIME for causing a lot of people to be very angry.
It was famous later on because it turned out to be a fascinating ans
useful model for how infectious diseases spread.
Wher to get this ELYSIUM WOW (Vanilla) ?

/skibber
Mike S.
2017-11-12 13:14:02 UTC
www.google.com
skibber
2017-11-13 08:07:45 UTC
Post by skibber
Wher to get this ELYSIUM WOW (Vanilla) ?
/skibber
www.google.com
I Have to look google

/skibber
Lewis
2017-11-12 15:17:38 UTC
Post by skibber
Post by Lewis
Post by Catriona R
Either way it'd be pretty cool to put it in for a really short time,
to minimise disruption but give people some memories, considering how
famous it was :-)
It was famous at the TIME for causing a lot of people to be very angry.
It was famous later on because it turned out to be a fascinating ans
useful model for how infectious diseases spread.
Wher to get this ELYSIUM WOW (Vanilla) ?
The only announcement from Blizzard is that there WILL be a WoW
Classic. No further details are known.
--
Up the airy mountains, down the rushy glen... From ghosties and bogles
and long-leggity beasties... My mother said I never should... We dare
fairies in the wood... --Lords and Ladies
skibber

/skibber
Urbin
2017-11-16 10:27:14 UTC
Post by IYM
Agreed - Make it Vanilla, fix the bugs, deploy patches that would
prevent known issues like the "corrupted blood" incident from happening
again (heh) , and deploy.
Don't let them fix everything. I want to see Kazzak (name?) being pulled all
the way to Stormwind again :-)

Cheers
Urbin
--
Dun Morogh-EU (PvE) | Taalas (85), Shaman | Juran (65), Druid
Urbin (100), Hunter | Sunh (81), Priest | Vargal (42), Warrior
Mymule (85), Warlock | Kordosch (75), Deathknight | Tunyatgong (12), Monk
Catriona R
2017-11-17 16:35:53 UTC
Post by Urbin
Post by IYM
Agreed - Make it Vanilla, fix the bugs, deploy patches that would
prevent known issues like the "corrupted blood" incident from happening
again (heh) , and deploy.
Don't let them fix everything. I want to see Kazzak (name?) being pulled all
the way to Stormwind again :-)
Haha yeah :-) He's back in live WoW this week btw, WoW's birthday
event brought back all the old worldbosses (bit easier than they used
to be, with 5 mins respawns so everyone can see them), awesome for
memories - I don't think he's lived long enough for anyone to test if
he can be kited to SW though ;-)
Lewis
2017-11-11 06:51:11 UTC
Post by Catriona R
Post by Peter T.
Post by Catriona R
Anyone here still playing? Or playing anything else?
Fallout 3 2-3 hours a week. I barely play any games atm. Work, sleep,
work, sleep, work, sleep...
Ouch, that sucks, nerf work!
I think leveling is too fast as it is. I can't play through a single
zone without leveling past the next zone level, and sometimes the next
two. PVE solo, every class, every race, only do dungeons when I have
to and never do raids.
Wow will no scale, so any zone in the original WoW will scale to level
60 (You can do Westfall at 60), any Outland or Northrend Zone will scale
to 80, any Pandamania or WOD zone will scale to 100.
--
Nine-tenths of the universe is the knowledge of the position and
direction of everything in the other tenth. Every atom has its
fact, is the paperwork. --The Thief of Time
IYM
2017-11-09 14:32:37 UTC
Post by Catriona R
Anyone here still playing? Or playing anything else?
Nope - Just saw this as my neighbor and former tank told me about
classic so I looked here for old times sake.... I quit cold turkey and
walked away during the pandaria expansion when not much was going on and
I found myself grinding that island you teleported to...so out of it I
don't even remember the name. Never came back except once about 1.5
years ago when my daughter wanted to play so I rolled a new tuaran that
surprisingly Blizzard let me name "Cowpoop" and played along side her
for about 15 levels....

Anyway, my neighbor said about 10 people he new would come back if
classic happens. Me, I'm not sure. Too much going on in life to
invest the time back at that. Clash of Lords 2 on my phone is the
extent of my invested gaming as it only takes a few minutes of time....
Catriona R
2017-11-10 04:16:46 UTC
Post by IYM
Post by Catriona R
Anyone here still playing? Or playing anything else?
Nope - Just saw this as my neighbor and former tank told me about
classic so I looked here for old times sake.... I quit cold turkey and
walked away during the pandaria expansion when not much was going on and
I found myself grinding that island you teleported to...so out of it I
don't even remember the name.
I remember you quitting around that time, great to hear from you! :-)
You picked a good time to quit, WoD was worse for lack of content...
much worse, even I stopped playing for a bit lol.
Post by IYM
Never came back except once about 1.5
years ago when my daughter wanted to play so I rolled a new tuaran that
surprisingly Blizzard let me name "Cowpoop" and played along side her
for about 15 levels....
Rofl, can't believe you could get that name!
Post by IYM
Anyway, my neighbor said about 10 people he new would come back if
classic happens. Me, I'm not sure. Too much going on in life to
invest the time back at that. Clash of Lords 2 on my phone is the
extent of my invested gaming as it only takes a few minutes of time....
I know a few who'll be there, all people I met on Nost, but hey, maybe
I'll run into some old guildies from vanilla sometime too... I think a
lot of people who quit might find the mostalgia appealing, although
maybe not longterm; I can be happy casually levelling and not aspiring
to raid, but I know not everyone's like that and that level of
commitment tends to be harder when you're 12 years older! Even I game
a lot less than I used to and I have more free time than most.
Ashen Shugar
2017-11-13 09:38:12 UTC
I think it was Catriona R <***@totalise.co.uk> that wrote
something like...
Post by Catriona R
Anyone here still playing? Or playing anything else?
I spend more of my time reading fan translations of chinese web novels
these days. I had quit near the start of MoP before even getting a
character to max level and came back at the end of WoD just a few
months before Legion landed. Played relatively consistently with
WoD's garrisons, then with Legion got a couple of characters to max
level but then my interest petered off again. Was going to make
another push towards getting Legion flying, but then after playing one
night and discovering I'd need to raid for one of the required
achievements, the next day when I went to play, it said it had to
patch the game, and now I just get "Whoops! Something broke, try
again" error messages. I've tried a few things so far, though the
most troublesome bit is that it seems the issue is probably file
corruption, but the scan and repair (or more probably the bit that
goes and fetches the fixed bit's) is corrupted, so after 20 minutes of
scanning, it still just goes "Whoops!".

Opened up a web ticket (which took forever as well due to various
issues) and got a seriously lazy form letter in reply. The very top
of the form letter was a link to the page that says how to run the
scan and repair. My ticket pointed out that the scan and repair is
also broken for me...
There's also a section that presumably relates to the dxinfo and
msinfo32 results that they ask for. Their line was "While looking
over the information you sent in, I located a program called {Program
name}. This program is not necessarily bad, but it could cause an
issue. We ask that you uninstall it while we proceed with the
troubleshooting process. "

Good help is truly hard to find. ; )

Well, I'd canceled my recurring subscription again anyway and it's due
to run out early December anyway. Depending on how into it I got
again I might have subscribed again, or maybe used some accumulated
ingame money to get another month of game time a few times, but if I
can't get it working again, I may end up forgetting about it. Though
I may buy the new expansion whenever it comes out, and installing that
from the DVD could hopefully fix my issues. I'd do an uninstall and
reinstall from the Legion DVD, only with a 20gig per month download
limit for the entire house, I'd rather avoid that if possible. The 5
gigs I've seemed to have lost in corrupted data.00* would be bad
enough to replace.

I probably should spend more of my time working on my own game anyway.
I've got a simple little game about pushing different coloured shapes
back into a cube that I've got to the stage where it mostly just needs
proper polishing to be marketable. (though I may just release it for
free so I've got a "finished" game I can properly throw on my resume)

Ashen Shugar
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!
Ashen Shugar
2017-11-13 10:59:36 UTC
I think it was ***@yahoo.com.au (Ashen Shugar) that wrote
something like...
Post by Ashen Shugar
Well, I'd canceled my recurring subscription again anyway and it's due
to run out early December anyway. Depending on how into it I got
again I might have subscribed again, or maybe used some accumulated
ingame money to get another month of game time a few times, but if I
can't get it working again, I may end up forgetting about it. Though
I may buy the new expansion whenever it comes out, and installing that
from the DVD could hopefully fix my issues. I'd do an uninstall and
reinstall from the Legion DVD, only with a 20gig per month download
limit for the entire house, I'd rather avoid that if possible. The 5
gigs I've seemed to have lost in corrupted data.00* would be bad
enough to replace.
Bit more poking and prodding and my guess is the hard drive has
corruption everywhere, and Windows is kinda sick. It's scan and
repair tool couldn't fix all the issues it found, so I'm thinking I
may need to reinstall windows to get things working. Something along
the order of a format and reinstall, though I'll want it to find any
screwed up sectors on the hard drive and make sure they don't get
reused again.

Guess the first step is to plug in an old external hard disk I have
that's got a terrabyte of space and back everything up.

Good thing I still have my trusty macbook to keep me entertained while
all that's going on. (I should probably look into installing WoW on
it, since it's a few years newer than my windows PC)

Let the Lord of Chaos rule!
Catriona R
2017-11-13 14:29:48 UTC
Post by Ashen Shugar
something like...
Post by Catriona R
Anyone here still playing? Or playing anything else?
I spend more of my time reading fan translations of chinese web novels
these days. I had quit near the start of MoP before even getting a
character to max level and came back at the end of WoD just a few
months before Legion landed. Played relatively consistently with
WoD's garrisons, then with Legion got a couple of characters to max
level but then my interest petered off again. Was going to make
another push towards getting Legion flying, but then after playing one
night and discovering I'd need to raid for one of the required
achievements,
Although technically it's raiding, you only need to LFR for it - at
least I've never done anything higher than LFR and can fly :-) The
mythic dungeon quests in Suramar weren't required either, although
they looked like they might be; they were just a side chain. I still
haven't done all of those.

<snip tech troubles>
Post by Ashen Shugar
I'd do an uninstall and
reinstall from the Legion DVD, only with a 20gig per month download
limit for the entire house, I'd rather avoid that if possible. The 5
gigs I've seemed to have lost in corrupted data.00* would be bad
enough to replace.
Ouch, seen your later post too, sounds a right headache, hope you can
get it working again! For replacing the install, do you know anyone in
RL who plays the game? If so, you can copy their install to your pc
(external hard drive would do it), just replace their WTF and
Interface folders with the contents of yours. When we had limited
downloads, my other half and I always used to download patches to one
pc and copy the install over to the other one, saved us a lot of
bandwidth.

Or if you have access to unlimited downloads outside the house (again,
friends/family, or even work?), using a laptop to download it
elsewhere and then copy to pc could work. I've always liked how Blizz
makes their games just work if you copy+paste them around, really
helps for saving on downloads!
Post by Ashen Shugar
I probably should spend more of my time working on my own game anyway.
I've got a simple little game about pushing different coloured shapes
back into a cube that I've got to the stage where it mostly just needs
proper polishing to be marketable. (though I may just release it for
free so I've got a "finished" game I can properly throw on my resume)
Oh that sounds cool, must feel great to be able to make something like
that :-) I've been watching tons of Blizzcon panels about how games
are made and they often go into the "how to get started" side of it,
made me wish I had ability in any of the useful aspects lol, it sounds
a really fun thing to work on. Please do plug your game on here when
you release it!
Ashen Shugar
2017-11-16 09:50:14 UTC
I think it was Catriona R <***@totalise.co.uk> that wrote
something like...
Post by Catriona R
Post by Ashen Shugar
something like...
Post by Catriona R
[...]
Yeah. It shouldn't be too big a deal to hit up LFR for it. Trickiest
part is the difference in timezones. Best chance to get into a raid
is either before I want to wake up in the morning, or when I should be
going to work.
Post by Catriona R
<snip tech troubles>
Post by Ashen Shugar
[...]
Well, reinstalled windows and now the scan and repair worked. Only
wants to download 7.25gig. I wonder if some of that might have been
on the Legion DVD? I'll have a fiddle around. :)
I'll probably split it up and download a pile of it through my mobile
phone, since I use most of its data just watching anime. (though my
reception is dodgy in my room and it'll be pretty slow)

Bit of a shame though, is that I forgot to backup the program I use to
read newsgroups, so I've lost all the posts since sometime in 2010.
The news server I use only has back to sometime in 2015. Not that it
really matters, it just upsets the hoarder in me. ;p
Post by Catriona R
Post by Ashen Shugar
I probably should spend more of my time working on my own game anyway.
I've got a simple little game about pushing different coloured shapes
back into a cube that I've got to the stage where it mostly just needs
proper polishing to be marketable. (though I may just release it for
free so I've got a "finished" game I can properly throw on my resume)
Oh that sounds cool, must feel great to be able to make something like
that :-) I've been watching tons of Blizzcon panels about how games
are made and they often go into the "how to get started" side of it,
made me wish I had ability in any of the useful aspects lol, it sounds
a really fun thing to work on. Please do plug your game on here when
you release it!
It's getting easier and easier to make games these days. One of the
guys I boardgame with, his kids went to a code camp thingy and made
some simple platform game levels with Game Maker I think it was.
They're like 9 and 12 years old I think. Of course, in that
situation, it was probably a lot like using a level editor rather than
actually writing a game, though certainly a number of people get into
the industry by starting out making mods and levels for existing
games. And additionally, if you don't mind the poor pay and getting
pushed to work crazy hours to meet insane deadlines, just about any
role can be used in game development. Writers, artists, voice actors,
musicians, sfx, designers, play testers, managers, accountants,
lawyers, social media managers and more. Actual programmers don't
actually make up *that* big a percentage of the people involved.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!
Catriona R
2017-11-17 16:56:29 UTC
Post by Ashen Shugar
something like...
Post by Catriona R
Although technically it's raiding, you only need to LFR for it - at
least I've never done anything higher than LFR and can fly :-) The
mythic dungeon quests in Suramar weren't required either, although
they looked like they might be; they were just a side chain. I still
haven't done all of those.
Yeah. It shouldn't be too big a deal to hit up LFR for it. Trickiest
part is the difference in timezones. Best chance to get into a raid
is either before I want to wake up in the morning, or when I should be
going to work.
Yeah I bet, maybe weekends? Or Christmas holidays should do the trick
in a few weeks :-)
Post by Ashen Shugar
Well, reinstalled windows and now the scan and repair worked. Only
wants to download 7.25gig. I wonder if some of that might have been
on the Legion DVD? I'll have a fiddle around. :)
I'll probably split it up and download a pile of it through my mobile
phone, since I use most of its data just watching anime. (though my
reception is dodgy in my room and it'll be pretty slow)
Bit of a shame though, is that I forgot to backup the program I use to
read newsgroups, so I've lost all the posts since sometime in 2010.
The news server I use only has back to sometime in 2015. Not that it
really matters, it just upsets the hoarder in me. ;p
Hehe yeah I'd be the same, I don't have a big archive of newsgroup
posts but I was rather annoyed when my email program had a hiccup a
while back and wiped my inbox, of course my backup was 6 months old...
oops. Don't think I lost anything actually important but it still
grates! On the plus side it did remind me to backup more often...
Post by Ashen Shugar
Post by Catriona R
[...]
Yeah, I could tell that from the stuff I was watching, problem is I
have no ability or knowledge for any of those roles lol :-) Loved
seeing what's involved though, it looks a fascinating thing to work
in!
Ashen Shugar
2017-11-18 12:25:29 UTC
I think it was Catriona R <***@totalise.co.uk> that wrote
something like...
Post by Catriona R
Post by Ashen Shugar
something like...
Post by Catriona R
Although technically it's raiding, you only need to LFR for it - at
least I've never done anything higher than LFR and can fly :-) The
mythic dungeon quests in Suramar weren't required either, although
they looked like they might be; they were just a side chain. I still
haven't done all of those.
Yeah. It shouldn't be too big a deal to hit up LFR for it. Trickiest
part is the difference in timezones. Best chance to get into a raid
is either before I want to wake up in the morning, or when I should be
going to work.
Yeah I bet, maybe weekends? Or Christmas holidays should do the trick
in a few weeks :-)
Most of my work at the moment is in the afternoon, so as long as I can
motivate myself to get moving before lunch time, I could probably fit
it in. I'm not too hopeful about that though. ; )

Not sure when I'll get it working though. Still about 5gig to
download and it's at the playable stage, but when I tried to log in on
a character, I didn't get past the loading screen. There were two
progress bars, the normal one and a little one underneath it. The
little one filled up a few times but I still wasn't getting into the
game. Unfortunately, my mobile has dodgy reception in my room, which
has seemed to be even worse these last few days so I haven't been able
to download anything really through it and I don't want to download
much more through the houses internet.
My subscription runs out in about 3 weeks time, so hopefully I'll have
managed something before then. :)
Post by Catriona R
Post by Ashen Shugar
[...]
Well, I just did a installation of windows without the format, and
while looking around to see how I'd used 700GB of my hard drive,
discovered that the windows.old folder it made when doing the install,
also included the program files directory, so I've gotten the
newsgroup posts back. I think there was corruption on my email though
or something, as I couldn't copy the old inbox file, but just moving
it worked, only not all the email was there. That's not a real
problem though as I also have a copy of all the email on my laptop.

I need to organise my backup a bit better, as I tend to end up with
multiple copies of stuff, which then get doubled up again later when I
want to make sure I don't lose stuff, so copy stuff all over the
place.
Post by Catriona R
Post by Ashen Shugar
Post by Catriona R
[...]
It's an industry where you'd make better money with your skills
elsewhere, so you tend to get more passionate people in there, and
they make it look awesome.
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!
Catriona R
2017-11-18 14:29:53 UTC
Post by Ashen Shugar
something like...
Post by Catriona R
Post by Ashen Shugar
something like...
Post by Catriona R
Although technically it's raiding, you only need to LFR for it - at
least I've never done anything higher than LFR and can fly :-) The
mythic dungeon quests in Suramar weren't required either, although
they looked like they might be; they were just a side chain. I still
haven't done all of those.
Yeah. It shouldn't be too big a deal to hit up LFR for it. Trickiest
part is the difference in timezones. Best chance to get into a raid
is either before I want to wake up in the morning, or when I should be
going to work.
Yeah I bet, maybe weekends? Or Christmas holidays should do the trick
in a few weeks :-)
Most of my work at the moment is in the afternoon, so as long as I can
motivate myself to get moving before lunch time, I could probably fit
it in. I'm not too hopeful about that though. ; )
Haha sounds like me, I was quite happy when I learned it isn't unknown
for people to have body clocks that aren't typical, as mine definitely
isn't, I'm most awake late at night and never alert in the mornings!
Post by Ashen Shugar
Not sure when I'll get it working though. Still about 5gig to
download and it's at the playable stage, but when I tried to log in on
a character, I didn't get past the loading screen. There were two
progress bars, the normal one and a little one underneath it. The
little one filled up a few times but I still wasn't getting into the
game. Unfortunately, my mobile has dodgy reception in my room, which
has seemed to be even worse these last few days so I haven't been able
to download anything really through it and I don't want to download
much more through the houses internet.
My subscription runs out in about 3 weeks time, so hopefully I'll have
managed something before then. :)
Sounds like it's not downloaded the zone your character is in, you
might have more luck with a character in another zone, else have to
wait for the little bar to fill, which'll be the download progress for
that area (at least, what's directly around you). "Playable" often
isn't really so, I find ;-)
Post by Ashen Shugar
Post by Catriona R
Yeah, I could tell that from the stuff I was watching, problem is I
have no ability or knowledge for any of those roles lol :-) Loved
seeing what's involved though, it looks a fascinating thing to work
in!
It's an industry where you'd make better money with your skills
elsewhere, so you tend to get more passionate people in there, and
they make it look awesome.
Hehe would make sense, but yeah, everyone seemed really passionate and
enthusiastic about it, obviously Blizz would pick the people who are
going to make it look cool but still, they really did make it sound
good :-)
unknown
2017-11-14 10:27:58 UTC
Post by Catriona R
Anyone here still playing? Or playing anything else? I was still inWoW
until a couple of months back when Guild Wars 2 expansion hit, that
took me away for a month, now I'm playing WoW a little again, but
still got a lot I want to work on in GW2. I'll get more into WoW again
when the levelling changes come with 7.3.5; the thought of being able
to do a whole zone without it going grey, and to be able to do ALL of
Outland or Northrend instead of always skipping the later zones is
great (Netherstorm and Storm Peaks were two of my favourites), I look
forward to seeing some places I've not done at an appropriate lvl for
many years!
Not WoW.
Spent maybe $500 this year on Indie games.
Currently playing mostly Rimworld.
Huge learning cliff
extreme micromanagement
very little balance - It is possible you are in a RNG poisoned game and
you don't know.
endless frustration - 3 times an hour random events make me feel like
throwing the keyboard across the room.
Lovely. :-)

Classic Wow wouldn't be much as far as *I* am concerned. It is all about
the discovery and patterning for me. I could possibly enjoy it but there
is plenty else besides it.
Having to do dungeons for crafting in current wow and elements of forced
pvp. nope.
Catriona R
2017-11-14 14:18:31 UTC
On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 20:57:58 +1030, | || ||| ||||| || |
Post by unknown
Spent maybe $500 this year on Indie games.
Currently playing mostly Rimworld.
Huge learning cliff
extreme micromanagement
very little balance - It is possible you are in a RNG poisoned game and
you don't know.
endless frustration - 3 times an hour random events make me feel like
throwing the keyboard across the room.
Lovely. :-)
Sounds like that'd drive me crazy lol, great if you enjoy it though!
:-)
Post by unknown
Classic Wow wouldn't be much as far as *I* am concerned. It is all about
the discovery and patterning for me. I could possibly enjoy it but there
is plenty else besides it.
Having to do dungeons for crafting in current wow and elements of forced
pvp. nope.
Yeah, I'm with you there, although the pvp is avoidable if you learn
where the pvp quests are and avoid them (Underbelly you can hire a
bodyguard who actually works now, unlike at launch, so you have 5 mins
of being unflaggable).

The professions in dungeons is something they need to bin, it was ok
on my main, gave me motivation to do the places once, but I hate
pugging dungeons for every alt. Luckily gear inflation is a bit
extreme this time out, so my bf and I can duo them all easily now,
even heroic is more slow than difficult for us (we did the most recent
dungeon on the day it opened; heroic was its lowest difficulty), so
while he was subbed I got a bunch of alts through their quest chains.
I don't want to see that system make a return though, we get a stat
squish with BfA so they might do a better job of keeping inflation
under control, and we might not be able to repeat this tactic!
skibber
2017-11-15 09:58:41 UTC
Post by unknown
[...]
Best privat server ?

/skibber
Urbin
2017-11-16 10:00:07 UTC
Post by Catriona R
Anyone here still playing? Or playing anything else?
Got myself a new computer last february so I can again play games that the
old one didn't run anymore. As I had loved Witcher I (which my old machine
could do) I started playing Witcher II (which my old one couldn't do) and
liked it but got stuck on the first bigger boss fight and let it lie for a
while then never got round to trying again. One of these days I probably
will.

Then, for a while, I went back to WoW levelling every class from 1 to 20 (on
my expired account) just for reminiscence reasons and I think I could still
get the bug again if I re-subscribed but after being "almost clean" for 5 or
so years there is no way I'm going back, my family would not approve :-)

Lately, I've been playing skyrim. I like the gameplay and the important part
the storyline plays, it's really immersive, even if it is a few years old.

Mostly I'm busy with other things though.

Still, it's good to hear from recognisable names in this group :-)

Cheers
Urbin
Peter T.
2017-11-16 19:17:45 UTC
Post by Urbin
Still, it's good to hear from recognisable names in this group :-)
I never forget you coded the body count addon for me. Thx again. :)
Peter T.
Shinnokxz
2017-11-17 01:59:34 UTC
I played the original Vanilla, maxed out a few characters on Elysium, and was ecstatic to hear this news. Glad my topic was resurrected.

I don't know what 'Lewis' has against the concept of this but his bellyaching it truly astonishing. He pretends like the early carnations of WoW was a broken unstable mess that never worked for anybody. Uh, chum, what exactly kept millions playing, and some of them wanting to to relive it? Don't want to join the Classic realms, here's a hint: AFK in your garrison and let people play a game you don't agree with. But don't pretend like there isn't a crowd of people out here that are ready to hand money to Blizzard to get this, this announcement absolutely refutes anything you've typed about it.

Blizzard finally woke up that some of these players that pine for this Classic 'expansion' are cash holding players that will re-sub their accounts, and thus, increase the value of the company albeit at least in the short term. Their WoW IP has been bleeding out for a good while now, and this seems like the obvious move to bring back a bit of the flock, despite the novelty factor (They'd probably make more money off of this if they simply charged a onetime flat rate for anyone to access WoW Classic, rather than people subbing for a month or two and then tuning out)

The farce that Blizzard 'couldn't replicate' the past assets again was all made out to be joke once anyone with two braincells to rub together saw umpteen amount of private servers rolling out Vanilla like it was a commercial game. It's not worth bringing up anymore because it doesn't exist, I don't care who your insider is.
Lewis
2017-11-18 04:30:19 UTC
Post by Shinnokxz
I played the original Vanilla, maxed out a few characters on Elysium,
and was ecstatic to hear this news. Glad my topic was resurrected.
I don't know what 'Lewis' has against the concept
I've laid that out several times of the last couple of years.
Post by Shinnokxz
of this but his bellyaching it truly astonishing.
And yet, it is the majority opinion on Trade.
Post by Shinnokxz
He pretends like the early carnations of WoW was a broken unstable
mess
It was. I have over a MONTH of free play time from vanilla because it was
so unstable. Instances crashed all the time Continents crashed all the
time. The ships were removed because they crashed the server and were
gone for quite awhile until they finally got it fixed.
Post by Shinnokxz
that never worked for anybody.
I never said that.
Post by Shinnokxz
Uh, chum, what exactly kept millions playing, and some of them wanting
to to relive it?
Most the people wanting vanilla servers never played vanilla wow. You
can tell because they things they are asking about to get back weren't
in Vanilla (like flying).
Post by Shinnokxz
Don't want to join the Classic realms,
Oh, I won't, but having them is taking resources away from the real
game, at the very least some people to support them and fix them and keep
them running.
Post by Shinnokxz
here's a hint: AFK in your garrison and let people play a game you
don't agree with. But don't pretend like there isn't a crowd of people
out here that are ready to hand money to Blizzard to get this, this
announcement absolutely refutes anything you've typed about it.
No, *IF* it is wildly successful, that would.
Post by Shinnokxz
Blizzard finally woke up that some of these players that pine for this
Classic 'expansion' are cash holding players that will re-sub their
accounts,
Maybe. Maybe not. We don't know that.
Post by Shinnokxz
and thus, increase the value of the company albeit at least
in the short term. Their WoW IP has been bleeding out for a good while
now,
No, Blizzard is printing money, there is no bleeding.
Post by Shinnokxz
The farce that Blizzard 'couldn't replicate' the past assets again was
all made out to be joke once anyone with two braincells to rub
together saw umpteen amount of private servers rolling out Vanilla
like it was a commercial game. It's not worth bringing up anymore
because it doesn't exist, I don't care who your insider is.
That's nice. I don't care what you beleive, at all.

The spectacular coming clusterfuck failure of "Classic" will be
entertaining to watch as millions of butthurt people whine incessantly
about how this is the wrong Classic WoW and how Blizzard fails.
To read makes our speaking English good.
Lewis
2017-11-18 04:46:42 UTC
Post by Lewis
The spectacular coming clusterfuck failure of "Classic" will be
entertaining to watch as millions of butthurt people whine incessantly
about how this is the wrong Classic WoW and how Blizzard fails.
Well, not millions, but tens of thousands, most of whom will be
enraged.
The Force can have a strong influence on a weak mind.
Catriona R
2017-11-18 13:48:20 UTC
On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 04:30:19 -0000 (UTC), Lewis
Post by Lewis
Post by Shinnokxz
of this but his bellyaching it truly astonishing.
And yet, it is the majority opinion on Trade.
Lol, Trade? Unless your server is wildly different to mine, Trade has
never been anything other than a bunch of vocal trolls... I'd never
hold any value in what's said on there.
Post by Lewis
Post by Shinnokxz
He pretends like the early carnations of WoW was a broken unstable
mess
It was. I have over a MONTH of free play time from vanilla because it was
so unstable. Instances crashed all the time Continents crashed all the
time. The ships were removed because they crashed the server and were
gone for quite awhile until they finally got it fixed.
Bit of a difference between 1.1 and 1.12 in stability though. Even
1.2/1.3 was much better, I had maybe a week of free days during
vanilla, across almost 2 years. I'm in Europe, we launched 3 months
after US and never had 1.1, and I started a few weeks after launch so
1.3 hit just a few days after I started, it was probably 95-98% stable
by then.
Post by Lewis
Post by Shinnokxz
Uh, chum, what exactly kept millions playing, and some of them wanting
to to relive it?
Most the people wanting vanilla servers never played vanilla wow. You
can tell because they things they are asking about to get back weren't
in Vanilla (like flying).
Eh, no. I'd say those are people who jumped on the bandwagon now it's
coming and either are troling or should be campaigning for something
other than vanilla. Those of us who WANTED vanilla are horrified by
those demands and very worried in case Blizzard listen. Vanilla means
vanilla, plain and simple.
Post by Lewis
Post by Shinnokxz
Don't want to join the Classic realms,
Oh, I won't, but having them is taking resources away from the real
game, at the very least some people to support them and fix them and keep
them running.
It's not; they're hiring a completely new team for it. You could claim
the funding for this team takes away from the live game, but then so
does the existence of any other Blizzard game. Starcraft, Diablo...
it'll have the same effect on WoW as those games do.
Post by Lewis
Post by Shinnokxz
Blizzard finally woke up that some of these players that pine for this
Classic 'expansion' are cash holding players that will re-sub their
accounts,
Maybe. Maybe not. We don't know that.
It's fairly obvious. A good number of people hate current WoW in the
same way you appear to hate the original game, and will be likely to
return if the real thing is available. Very few people LIKE playing on
unreliable and buggy private servers that can get shut down on the
whim of the admins, throwing away months of progress; they do so
because of the lack of official servers (and many who would play on
official servers don't play private servers).
Post by Lewis
The spectacular coming clusterfuck failure of "Classic" will be
entertaining to watch as millions of butthurt people whine incessantly
about how this is the wrong Classic WoW and how Blizzard fails.
Assuming Blizzard does it right, the whiners will be the ones who
didn't want vanilla anyway. And "butthurt", how old are you?! Guess
you're not really wanting a constructive conversation here anyway, I'm
probably just wasting energy correcting your misconceptions.
Tim Merrigan
2017-11-18 19:15:03 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Shinnokxz
Uh, chum, what exactly kept millions playing, and some of them wanting
to to relive it?
Most the people wanting vanilla servers never played vanilla wow. You
can tell because they things they are asking about to get back weren't
in Vanilla (like flying).
Eh, no. I'd say those are people who jumped on the bandwagon now it's
coming and either are troling or should be campaigning for something
other than vanilla. Those of us who WANTED vanilla are horrified by
those demands and very worried in case Blizzard listen. Vanilla means
vanilla, plain and simple.
Having not archived "Pathfinder" in either Dranar or Legion I have
been getting by alright without flight (though I switch back to my
flying mounts as soon as I can). It will be a bit tedious if they
also don't have ground mounts.

Note to Blizzard, at least one reliable, and usable anywhere in water,
account wide water mount would be useful either under water, like the
Vashj'ar seahorse, or over the surface, like the Thousand Needles
boat. (Not for Classic, but maybe for BfA.)

Tim Merrigan
Catriona R
2017-11-18 23:05:47 UTC
Post by Tim Merrigan
Having not archived "Pathfinder" in either Dranar or Legion I have
been getting by alright without flight (though I switch back to my
flying mounts as soon as I can). It will be a bit tedious if they
also don't have ground mounts.
In vanilla you get ground mounts at lvl 40 (the slower speed ones) and
fast riding at 60 - it's a slog to get there, and includes saving up a
lot of gold, as they're very expensive compared with what's easily
obtainable, but the sense of achievement from getting the mount is
great. For me, anyway; I know some people hate the work, but I think
it feels much better knowing I really earned it :-)
Post by Tim Merrigan
Note to Blizzard, at least one reliable, and usable anywhere in water,
account wide water mount would be useful either under water, like the
Vashj'ar seahorse, or over the surface, like the Thousand Needles
boat. (Not for Classic, but maybe for BfA.)
On live you can already get a water walking mount, visit Pandaria and
work on your Anglers rep for
https://www.wowhead.com/item=81354/reins-of-the-azure-water-strider or
else do a lot of fishing in Draenor for
https://www.wowhead.com/item=87791/reins-of-the-crimson-water-strider
- I'd personally rate the Anglers one as easier, takes a while but
less burnout if you're doing a different batch of dailies each day
rather than farming for particular fishing drops.

Also if you really like fishing, the artifact fishing pole
https://www.wowhead.com/the-underlight-angler-a-step-by-step-guide-to-obtaining-legions-fishing-artifact
turns you into a fish when equipped, if you put enough traits in it,
for faster swimming, as does the trinket from winning the
Stranglethorn Fishing contest
https://www.wowhead.com/item=19979/hook-of-the-master-angler.

If you don't like fishing... well, best roll a druid lol, aquatic form
is ugly but great :-) Death Knights have water walking, too, path of
frost I think it's called (I'm not sure why shamans lost their water
walking buff recently, a bit annoyed by that as I have a shaman alt).
Priests can levitate too but can't mount while levitating so it's the
slower option.
Lewis
2017-11-19 04:25:51 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Shinnokxz
of this but his bellyaching it truly astonishing.
And yet, it is the majority opinion on Trade.
Lol, Trade? Unless your server is wildly different to mine, Trade has
never been anything other than a bunch of vocal trolls... I'd never
hold any value in what's said on there.
It is at least people who are PLAYING instead of the idiots on the
forums.
Post by Catriona R
Post by Lewis
Post by Shinnokxz
He pretends like the early carnations of WoW was a broken unstable
mess
It was. I have over a MONTH of free play time from vanilla because it was
so unstable. Instances crashed all the time Continents crashed all the
time. The ships were removed because they crashed the server and were
gone for quite awhile until they finally got it fixed.
Bit of a difference between 1.1 and 1.12 in stability though.
Sure, but if "Classic" includes Naxx you *know* all those vanilla fans
are going to throw a shit fit.
Post by Catriona R
Post by Lewis
Most the people wanting vanilla servers never played vanilla wow. You
can tell because they things they are asking about to get back weren't
in Vanilla (like flying).
Eh, no.
Oh yes.
Post by Catriona R
I'd say those are people who jumped on the bandwagon now it's coming
and either are troling or should be campaigning for something other
than vanilla.
I'll grant you they have no idea what they are talking about, but there
were certainly out there and this was pre-announcement.

I've also heard people saying they want to play vanilla because they
really liked the meeting stones.
Post by Catriona R
Those of us who WANTED vanilla are horrified by those demands and very
worried in case Blizzard listen. Vanilla means vanilla, plain and
simple.
"Vanilla" either means 1.0 or it means nothing at all, or it means
different things to different people. That is rather my point. Anything
beyond 1.0 represents a patch on vanilla.
Post by Catriona R
It's fairly obvious.
Many things that are "fairly obvious" turn out to be false. Until people
are paying a subscription, it's all guesswork.
Post by Catriona R
A good number of people hate current WoW in the same way you appear to
hate the original game,
I didn't hate the original game 13 years ago, but I have no fuzzy
nostalgia delusions about it. A lot of it was *dreadful* and the
improvements to it have been, well, improvements.
Post by Catriona R
and will be likely to return if the real thing is available. Very few
people LIKE playing on unreliable and buggy private servers that can
get shut down on the whim of the admins, throwing away months of
progress; they do so because of the lack of official servers (and many
who would play on official servers don't play private servers).
They did it almost entirely because it was FREE.
The Force can have a strong influence on a weak mind.
Catriona R
2017-11-19 14:59:03 UTC
Post by Lewis
And yet, it is the majority opinion on Trade.
Lol, Trade? Unless your server is wildly different to mine, Trade has
never been anything other than a bunch of vocal trolls... I'd never
hold any value in what's said on there.
It is at least people who are PLAYING instead of the idiots on the
forums.
So, people playing retail. Not people playing Clasoc or likely to play
classic. Strangely there is not much overlap between the two
populations...
Post by Lewis
Post by Catriona R
Post by Lewis
It was. I have over a MONTH of free play time from vanilla because it was
so unstable. Instances crashed all the time Continents crashed all the
time. The ships were removed because they crashed the server and were
gone for quite awhile until they finally got it fixed.
Bit of a difference between 1.1 and 1.12 in stability though.
Sure, but if "Classic" includes Naxx you *know* all those vanilla fans
are going to throw a shit fit.
Really? Why would they? Naxx was part of vanilla. A good number would
*prefer* everything to be released progressively, and not to have Naxx
on day one, but if it ends up released with everything on day one,
it's still vanilla. Can't see many tantrums over that.
Post by Lewis
Post by Catriona R
I'd say those are people who jumped on the bandwagon now it's coming
and either are troling or should be campaigning for something other
than vanilla.
I'll grant you they have no idea what they are talking about, but there
were certainly out there and this was pre-announcement.
I think the current loud volume is primarily bandwagon jumpers though,
certainly I've never encountered any before the announcement, it took
me very much by surprise that anyone should want vanilla to not be
vanilla, as that is absolutely not something I'd seenbefore, a small
number of private server players moaning about QoL stuff, sure, but
those were entirely people who never played vanilla.
Post by Lewis
I've also heard people saying they want to play vanilla because they
really liked the meeting stones.
Meeting stones existed in vanilla. *Summoning stones*, which is what
they were turned into in TBC, did not, but Meeting stones were added
in patch 1.3: https://wow.gamepedia.com/Meeting_Stone

Not that I can see why anyone liked them, nobody ever used them in my
experience.
Post by Lewis
Post by Catriona R
Those of us who WANTED vanilla are horrified by those demands and very
worried in case Blizzard listen. Vanilla means vanilla, plain and
simple.
"Vanilla" either means 1.0 or it means nothing at all, or it means
different things to different people. That is rather my point. Anything
beyond 1.0 represents a patch on vanilla.
No, it means anything before TBC, I've never seen anyone say it means
1.0. Especially as 1.0 never existed; the servers launched on 1.1 in
US and 1.2 in Europe. Many would like 1.1 or 1.2 progressing forwards
to 1.12, but 1.12 is still vanilla.
Post by Lewis
Post by Catriona R
and will be likely to return if the real thing is available. Very few
people LIKE playing on unreliable and buggy private servers that can
get shut down on the whim of the admins, throwing away months of
progress; they do so because of the lack of official servers (and many
who would play on official servers don't play private servers).
They did it almost entirely because it was FREE.
No. If that was the sole motivation, then WoD/MoP servers would've
been the most popular and well developed ones when I was playing
Nostalrius during WoD. What was most popular? Vanilla, with TBC and
Wrath close behind. Sure, *some* people played because it was free,
but most played because there were no official servers carrying that
content.

I took a quick search to see if I could find some estimates on current
population, most servers don't release population figures but best
guesses can be found here:
https://www.dkpminus.com/wow-private-servers/ note post-Cata servers
aren't too common, the highest pop one seems to be an MoP one (an
expansion I'd happily return to given an official option) in a
language not supported by Blizzard. The trend is fairly clearly
towards pre-Cata content servers; there aren't as many populated
vanilla servers now but that's likely down to Blizz getting tougher
with the cease and desist notices considering their own announcement.
If the server being free was the sole reasoning, Legion would be up
there at the top.
Lewis
2017-11-19 19:20:53 UTC
Post by Lewis
And yet, it is the majority opinion on Trade.
Lol, Trade? Unless your server is wildly different to mine, Trade has
never been anything other than a bunch of vocal trolls... I'd never
hold any value in what's said on there.
It is at least people who are PLAYING instead of the idiots on the
forums.
So, people playing retail. Not people playing Clasoc or likely to play
classic. Strangely there is not much overlap between the two
populations...
And you base that belief on what evidence?
Post by Catriona R
Post by Lewis
Post by Catriona R
Post by Lewis
It was. I have over a MONTH of free play time from vanilla because it was
so unstable. Instances crashed all the time Continents crashed all the
time. The ships were removed because they crashed the server and were
gone for quite awhile until they finally got it fixed.
Bit of a difference between 1.1 and 1.12 in stability though.
Sure, but if "Classic" includes Naxx you *know* all those vanilla fans
are going to throw a shit fit.
Really? Why would they? Naxx was part of vanilla. A good number would
*prefer* everything to be released progressively, and not to have Naxx
on day one, but if it ends up released with everything on day one,
it's still vanilla. Can't see many tantrums over that.
Uh huh.
Post by Catriona R
Post by Lewis
Post by Catriona R
I'd say those are people who jumped on the bandwagon now it's coming
and either are troling or should be campaigning for something other
than vanilla.
I'll grant you they have no idea what they are talking about, but there
were certainly out there and this was pre-announcement.
I think the current loud volume is primarily bandwagon jumpers though,
certainly I've never encountered any before the announcement, it took
me very much by surprise that anyone should want vanilla to not be
vanilla, as that is absolutely not something I'd seenbefore, a small
number of private server players moaning about QoL stuff, sure, but
those were entirely people who never played vanilla.
This is what is known as "selection bias" you are seeing the people
around you (virtually) and assuming that everyone is like that.
Post by Catriona R
Post by Lewis
I've also heard people saying they want to play vanilla because they
really liked the meeting stones.
Meeting stones existed in vanilla. *Summoning stones*, which is what
they were turned into in TBC, did not, but Meeting stones were added
in patch 1.3: https://wow.gamepedia.com/Meeting_Stone
Sorry, Summoning Stones. It's been so long I'd forgotten.
Post by Catriona R
Post by Lewis
Post by Catriona R
Those of us who WANTED vanilla are horrified by those demands and very
worried in case Blizzard listen. Vanilla means vanilla, plain and
simple.
"Vanilla" either means 1.0 or it means nothing at all, or it means
different things to different people. That is rather my point. Anything
beyond 1.0 represents a patch on vanilla.
No, it means anything before TBC,
To YOU. There is no association that has determined an official
definition of "vanilla" as applies to World of Warcraft, so the
definition is what ever $RANDOM_PLAYER wants it to be.
Post by Catriona R
Post by Lewis
They did it almost entirely because it was FREE.
No.
You say no, I say yes.

What I do know for a fact is that people playing on vanilla servers are
not paying to do so.
Post by Catriona R
I took a quick search to see if I could find some estimates on current
population, most servers don't release population figures but best
Guesses are guesses.
Post by Catriona R
https://www.dkpminus.com/wow-private-servers/ note post-Cata servers
Oh, so now it's pre-Cata that we're talking about? Could that be because
the world post Cata is *HUGE* and some dude's i7 can't handle it? Also,
there are a lot of technical changes in later version to support multiple
servers that probably don't do well on a single machine. Or many other
potential reasons.

Two of the top three listed there are not vanilla, and the estimates
are, well, wildass guesses seems about right.
Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Catriona R
2017-11-19 21:24:54 UTC
Post by Lewis
It is at least people who are PLAYING instead of the idiots on the
forums.
So, people playing retail. Not people playing Clasoc or likely to play
classic. Strangely there is not much overlap between the two
populations...
And you base that belief on what evidence?
The war that breaks out on most WoW forums whenever the topic comes
up. Many current players hate the thought of classic WoW (why, is
beyond me, if they don't like it they don't have to play it), while
many classic players detest what current WoW is, clearly seen by the
constant bitching about it seen on private servers chat (which annoyed
the heck out of me as someone who likes BOTH; I am very clearly in the
minority).
Post by Lewis
Post by Catriona R
Post by Lewis
"Vanilla" either means 1.0 or it means nothing at all, or it means
different things to different people. That is rather my point. Anything
beyond 1.0 represents a patch on vanilla.
No, it means anything before TBC,
To YOU. There is no association that has determined an official
definition of "vanilla" as applies to World of Warcraft, so the
definition is what ever $RANDOM_PLAYER wants it to be.
To everyone I've seen commenting on the subject, on Nostalrius, on
MMO-C, on WoW's official forums, on Reddit; among both people who want
classic servers and people who do not. Nobody, anywhere, is claiming
vanilla was 1.0 (which never even existed) and nothing else. Everyone
says it included the entire period of 1.1 up to 1.12.
Post by Lewis
Post by Catriona R
Post by Lewis
They did it almost entirely because it was FREE.
No.
You say no, I say yes.
What I do know for a fact is that people playing on vanilla servers are
not paying to do so.
And what I know for a fact is many people WANT to pay Blizzard for it
but have not been given the opportunity yet.
Post by Lewis
Post by Catriona R
https://www.dkpminus.com/wow-private-servers/ note post-Cata servers
Oh, so now it's pre-Cata that we're talking about? Could that be because
the world post Cata is *HUGE* and some dude's i7 can't handle it? Also,
there are a lot of technical changes in later version to support multiple
servers that probably don't do well on a single machine. Or many other
potential reasons.
Two of the top three listed there are not vanilla, and the estimates
are, well, wildass guesses seems about right.
Your claim was that people played private servers because they are
FREE. If that was the case, then, logically, the most recent version
would be the most popular. So, why is Legion not even on the first
page of results? OrWoD? Looks like the content of the server might
possibly be a factor...
Lewis
2017-11-20 07:22:22 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Lewis
Post by Lewis
Post by Catriona R
https://www.dkpminus.com/wow-private-servers/ note post-Cata servers
Oh, so now it's pre-Cata that we're talking about? Could that be because
the world post Cata is *HUGE* and some dude's i7 can't handle it? Also,
there are a lot of technical changes in later version to support multiple
servers that probably don't do well on a single machine. Or many other
potential reasons.
Two of the top three listed there are not vanilla, and the estimates
are, well, wildass guesses seems about right.
Your claim was that people played private servers because they are
FREE.
No, I was talking about the various vanilla servers.
Post by Catriona R
If that was the case, then, logically, the most recent version
would be the most popular. So, why is Legion not even on the first
page of results? OrWoD? Looks like the content of the server might
possibly be a factor...
Well, WoD was terrible, so no one wants to play THAT sack of crap. Panda
was good, but unpopular with a lot of people (I assume they couldn't get
over the "panda" element).

I've never played on a private server, but I've logged in to a few over
the years out of curiosity. None have been especially stable and servers
with "thousands" of users never had more than 50 or so online that I
saw, which certainly takes one of the M's out of MMORPG.
--
Beautiful dawn / Lights up the shore for me / There is nothing else in the
world I'd rather see with you.
Catriona R
2017-11-20 14:43:50 UTC
On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 07:22:22 -0000 (UTC), Lewis
Post by Lewis
Post by Catriona R
Your claim was that people played private servers because they are
FREE.
No, I was talking about the various vanilla servers.
Which doesn't really change anything, as all existing vanilla servers
are private...
Post by Lewis
Post by Catriona R
If that was the case, then, logically, the most recent version
would be the most popular. So, why is Legion not even on the first
page of results? OrWoD? Looks like the content of the server might
possibly be a factor...
Well, WoD was terrible, so no one wants to play THAT sack of crap. Panda
was good, but unpopular with a lot of people (I assume they couldn't get
over the "panda" element).
Yep, but Legion private servers exist. And again, if it being free is
the sole consideration, I'd expect the later expansions to be more
popular. Harder work for the admins to make realistic, perhaps, but
also surely a higher demand. There's plenty of other MMOs out there
too for people who only want to play something free.
Post by Lewis
I've never played on a private server, but I've logged in to a few over
the years out of curiosity. None have been especially stable and servers
with "thousands" of users never had more than 50 or so online that I
saw, which certainly takes one of the M's out of MMORPG.
Yeah a lot claim more than they really had but Nostalrius was
genuinely thousands: you can see for yourself by Google image search
on it if you're wary of believing me ;-)

While doing the image search I ran across these threads I'd forgotten
which give some accurate figures:
https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3641 and
http://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?t=24560&f=71 - census
threads for the PVP and PVE servers respectively, each link in the
first post leads to a population snapshot. Censusplus is a genuine
tool which I ran too, it's still in use on live WoW servers, and
although it can only tell you what's there when someone actively runs
it, it's very good for a snapshot of the current population.

Going on those threads, the pvp server seemed to be 7-9k and pve 2-3k,
my own recollection is seeing it slightly higher,; particularly at
weekends, when US players would be logging on in their daytime while
European peak time was still ongoing, I'm sure I recall seeing 4-5k on
pve by the end, and I heard stories of 13k+ on pvp, which must have
been near impossible to play as anything other than a mass brawl, good
luck tagging any mobs in that! Actually quite impressive that the
servers could handle that load - as proved after Nost was shut down,
as a wave of homeless players broke several smaller servers that they
tried to settle on lol...
Tim Merrigan
2017-11-19 20:26:25 UTC
Post by Catriona R
Post by Catriona R
I'd say those are people who jumped on the bandwagon now it's coming
and either are troling or should be campaigning for something other
than vanilla.
I'll grant you they have no idea what they are talking about, but there
were certainly out there and this was pre-announcement.
I've also heard people saying they want to play vanilla because they
really liked the meeting stones.
That's silly, assuming they already have group who play together*, the
meeting stones could be used now. They're still there, outside the
entrance of every dungeon.

*I don't, which is why I solo. And I don't even try the newer games
(Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm) that require a team to be played.
Post by Lewis
Post by Catriona R
Those of us who WANTED vanilla are horrified by those demands and very
worried in case Blizzard listen. Vanilla means vanilla, plain and
simple.
"Vanilla" either means 1.0 or it means nothing at all, or it means
different things to different people. That is rather my point. Anything
beyond 1.0 represents a patch on vanilla.
No data whatsoever, but I suspect that Classic will be 1.13 (the
original having gotten to 1.12). If only because if they write it to
run on 2005 platforms the animations will be too fast, just due to
increased clock times in the intervening 13 years. (Try running
"Flying Toasters" on a modern machine.)

Take the world just before the Zombie Plagues and take it along a new
time line where the Lich King(s), and Cataclysm, and the first demon
invasion, and the Outland invasion, and the discovery of Pandaria, and
the Dranar invasion, and the second demon invasion never happened.

Tim Merrigan
Shinnokxz
2017-11-17 02:03:00 UTC
I played the original Vanilla, maxed out a few characters on Elysium, and was ecstatic to hear this news. Glad my topic was resurrected.

I don't know what 'Lewis' has against the concept of this but his bellyaching it truly astonishing. He pretends like the earlier iterations of WoW was a broken unstable mess that never worked for anybody. Uh, chum, what exactly kept millions playing, and some of them wanting to to relive it? Don't want to join the Classic realms, here's a hint: AFK in your garrison and let people play a game you don't agree with. But don't pretend like there isn't a crowd of people out here that are ready to hand money to Blizzard to get this, this announcement absolutely refutes anything you've typed about it.

Urbin
2017-11-20 13:42:11 UTC
Post by Peter T.
Post by Urbin
Still, it's good to hear from recognisable names in this group :-)
I never forget you coded the body count addon for me. Thx again. :)
He. I, on the other hand, had totally forgotten about it :-) Glad you liked
it!

Cheers
Urbin
Catriona R
2017-11-20 16:44:46 UTC
Post by Urbin
Post by Peter T.
Post by Urbin
Still, it's good to hear from recognisable names in this group :-)
I never forget you coded the body count addon for me. Thx again. :)
He. I, on the other hand, had totally forgotten about it :-) Glad you liked
it!
You did some great addons, I was very happy to see a few days back
that someone's just revived your Factionizer; it died with Legion
release but I'd used it for many years before that.
Urbin
2017-11-22 09:20:36 UTC
Post by Catriona R
Post by Urbin
Post by Peter T.
I never forget you coded the body count addon for me. Thx again. :)
He. I, on the other hand, had totally forgotten about it :-) Glad you liked
it!
You did some great addons, I was very happy to see a few days back
that someone's just revived your Factionizer; it died with Legion
release but I'd used it for many years before that.
Ah, fond memories. After reading about classic wow servers I googled about
news for some more details (not many details to be had, tbh) but I stumbled
across a job add by Blizzard. They are hiring software developers to bring
Vanilla WoW back to life and apart from the usual "knowing the franchise"
and "experience coding UI extensions" are bonus points. I'm actually
considering applying just to see their reaction (not that I have any
interest to take my family to Irvine :-)

Cheers
Urbin
Lewis
2017-11-20 21:12:24 UTC
Post by Urbin
Post by Peter T.
Post by Urbin
Still, it's good to hear from recognisable names in this group :-)
I never forget you coded the body count addon for me. Thx again. :)
He. I, on the other hand, had totally forgotten about it :-) Glad you liked
it!
I know there were several of your addons that I ran, but I can't
remember which ones. Did you have a rangecheck one for coloring the
buttons? I seem to recall switching to tullarange after something
stopped working.
--
Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to
state I finally won out over it.
Urbin
2017-11-22 09:17:54 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Urbin
Post by Peter T.
I never forget you coded the body count addon for me. Thx again. :)
He. I, on the other hand, had totally forgotten about it :-) Glad you liked
it!
I know there were several of your addons that I ran, but I can't
remember which ones. Did you have a rangecheck one for coloring the
buttons?
Yes, though it wasn't by me originally. I just took it over when the
original author abandonned it and it stopped working after an update.

ps: it really is funny that of the three usenet groups I occasionally
follow, I keep seeing posts by you, it seems we have the same interests (or
you follow many more groups than I do and my three just happen to fall into
your selection).

Cheers
Urbin
Lewis
2017-11-22 10:03:34 UTC
Post by Urbin
Post by Lewis
Post by Urbin
Post by Peter T.
I never forget you coded the body count addon for me. Thx again. :)
He. I, on the other hand, had totally forgotten about it :-) Glad you liked
it!
I know there were several of your addons that I ran, but I can't
remember which ones. Did you have a rangecheck one for coloring the
buttons?
Yes, though it wasn't by me originally. I just took it over when the
original author abandonned it and it stopped working after an update.
ps: it really is funny that of the three usenet groups I occasionally
follow, I keep seeing posts by you, it seems we have the same interests (or
you follow many more groups than I do and my three just happen to fall into
your selection).
I only subscribe to about a dozen groups...
MEGAHAL: within my penguin lies a torrid story of hate and love.
Catriona R
2017-11-17 16:43:16 UTC
Post by Urbin
Post by Catriona R
Anyone here still playing? Or playing anything else?
Got myself a new computer last february so I can again play games that the
old one didn't run anymore. As I had loved Witcher I (which my old machine
could do) I started playing Witcher II (which my old one couldn't do) and
liked it but got stuck on the first bigger boss fight and let it lie for a
while then never got round to trying again. One of these days I probably
will.
Then, for a while, I went back to WoW levelling every class from 1 to 20 (on
my expired account) just for reminiscence reasons and I think I could still
get the bug again if I re-subscribed but after being "almost clean" for 5 or
so years there is no way I'm going back, my family would not approve :-)
Hehe, a shame, but I can understand :-) Best stay away from classic
when it comes out then, it'll likely be far more timeconsuming than
retail now is ;-)
Post by Urbin
Lately, I've been playing skyrim. I like the gameplay and the important part
the storyline plays, it's really immersive, even if it is a few years old.
I've often heard good things about that game, keep meaning to try it
but I have too much time eaten by MMOs to fit anything else in at
present. I kinda meant to use the time in WoD for trying other games
but then I discovered vanilla WoW was playable... 6 months disappeared
;-)
Great to hear from you again! :-)
Urbin
2017-11-20 14:42:06 UTC
Post by Catriona R
Post by Urbin
Then, for a while, I went back to WoW levelling every class from 1 to 20 (on
my expired account) just for reminiscence reasons and I think I could still
get the bug again if I re-subscribed but after being "almost clean" for 5 or
so years there is no way I'm going back, my family would not approve :-)
Hehe, a shame, but I can understand :-) Best stay away from classic
when it comes out then, it'll likely be far more timeconsuming than
retail now is ;-)
I don't plan to. I've been away so long, that I'm not really missing it. My
brief foray into levelling from 1 to 20 was fun but it also showed me that
it would be too easy to get sucked into it again, so I'll be safe and stay
away.

Besides, while I have very fond memories of classic wow, I don't think it
would be the same. One of the awe inspiring factors of WoW at the start was
the sheer scope of the world. After having levelled my first character
(dwarf hunter Urbin) through Dun Morogh and going through the tunnel to
Loch Modan and not just seeing another snowy valley but another zone as big
as the one I had already played through I was totally knocked out! Knowing
the world inside out (at least the world as it was before the Cataclysm)
means no more awe inspiring revelations.

I also remember the hard work it was farming gold from 38 to 42 until I had
the 100g to afford the slow mount, don't even get me started about the 1000g
for the fast one at 60.

Pre-60 wow was pretty much a single player game because finding a DD spot in
a group without a large guild was almost impossible. Only when I joined my
final guild around level 58 did I get to regularly see all of the instances.

I did love the old level 60 instances and those are one of the things I
would go back for, but I can't imagine levelling from 1 to 60 at the
original speed.

I love the new dungeon seeker, I practically levelled my resto shaman from
15 to 85 purely from healing in dungeons. That would be a pain in vanilla
wow.

So while classic wow holds tons of great memories, I don't think I would
want to relive the old world in the truly old fashion. I would love to go
back to a pre-cata world for old times sake, though!
Post by Catriona R
Post by Urbin
Lately, I've been playing skyrim. I like the gameplay and the important part
the storyline plays, it's really immersive, even if it is a few years old.
I've often heard good things about that game, keep meaning to try it
I think you would like it. It has a rich world with many NPCs but is a
single player game which suits my situation as I can pause out of it any
time the family needs me (remember Burt ranting about WoW not having a pause
button all those years ago? :-)

There are different races, but no class system, essentially you're a single
player damage dealer but get to choose if you prefer ranged, melee or magic.
It has a crafting system but like with Wow, self built equipment is not up
to par with drops.

I love its seamless open world, the endless storylines that appear all over
the place. Mobs scale with your level, so you can't outlevel areas or quests
which is really cool. NPC interaction is really immersive and there is lore
to fill all your needs. I've made it as far as level 52 and I have seen
maybe half of the world and probably less than a third of the quest content.

Its native UI is horrendous but there is also a mod system with some good
mods that really improve the UI. However, the basic mod package is only
available for "classic Skyrim", so if you want to try it out, don't get the
"Skyrim Enhanced Edition". Also, there is loads of player generated modded
content as well as a few official content expansions, should you ever finish
the original story.

Of course it's a few years old, so while the graphics are pretty impressive
(realistic instead of WoW's comic book style) there are certainly modern
games that look better.
Post by Catriona R
then I discovered vanilla WoW was playable... 6 months disappeared ;-)
Should you try Skyrim, don't blame me if you loose another 6 months :-)
Post by Catriona R
Great to hear from you again! :-)
Likewise, take care and have fun!

Cheers
Urbin
Catriona R
2017-11-20 15:01:55 UTC
Post by Urbin
Post by Catriona R
[...]
Very true, for me a lot of the draw was revisiting old memories, the
original "wow" factor can't come back, but reliving the questchains
that were altered or outright removed, that was cool. Escorting
Marshal Windsor still felt awesome to me, even though there's plenty
more advanced things in modern WoW! I also love seeing the old world
again, too, the Loch Modan dam unbroken is still really impressive
now, Thousand needles minus the water looks much cooler too.
Post by Urbin
I also remember the hard work it was farming gold from 38 to 42 until I had
the 100g to afford the slow mount, don't even get me started about the 1000g
for the fast one at 60.
Pre-60 wow was pretty much a single player game because finding a DD spot in
a group without a large guild was almost impossible. Only when I joined my
final guild around level 58 did I get to regularly see all of the instances.
True indeed, I didn't have so much trouble on Nost, though, I think
people there were a little more relaxed about group composition, so
willing to try a group with a paladin tanking (eh, pallies were bugged
on nost and had way more threat than originally, which helped lol),
and that slightly reduced the problem of numbers for each role. some
dungeons in the 40-50 range took days to find groups for though,
unluckily I was at a speed that left me behind the super-fast
levellers and ahead of the main crowd, so there were only a few people
in my lvl range... on the plus side you did get to see the same people
quite often, which made it more social, at least!
Post by Urbin
I did love the old level 60 instances and those are one of the things I
would go back for, but I can't imagine levelling from 1 to 60 at the
original speed.
For me the original speed is something I like, as it felt like a long
journey, exploring the world. But I appreciate that is less good for
someone with limited time to play!
Post by Urbin
I love the new dungeon seeker, I practically levelled my resto shaman from
15 to 85 purely from healing in dungeons. That would be a pain in vanilla
wow.
I find it funny when I see people saying dungeon finder ruined WoW. In
some ways, yes, it contributed to the reduction in community feeling.
But, it meant I actually DO the dungeons at all - since I find being
in a guild is pretty stressful and hard work, I've never joined
another one since wrath, so don't have a social group to run with
(well, I have some battle.net friends now, that I would group with,
but they all play Alliance and Blizzard's talk of friendship and
togetherness only applies to people who picked the same colour...). So
it's benefitted me!

I can manage without it in classic, but having been lucky enough to
fall into a group that suited me helped a lot there; I did pug a bit
on Nost while waiting for guildies to catch up but far preferred
running in guild groups.
Post by Urbin
So while classic wow holds tons of great memories, I don't think I would
want to relive the old world in the truly old fashion. I would love to go
back to a pre-cata world for old times sake, though!
I can understand you there - I enjoy both ways tbh, classic for
memories, Legion for relaxing in my less-social manner hehe.
Post by Urbin
Post by Catriona R
Post by Urbin
Lately, I've been playing skyrim. I like the gameplay and the important part
the storyline plays, it's really immersive, even if it is a few years old.
I've often heard good things about that game, keep meaning to try it
I think you would like it. It has a rich world with many NPCs but is a
single player game which suits my situation as I can pause out of it any
time the family needs me (remember Burt ranting about WoW not having a pause
button all those years ago? :-)
Haha I do indeed, wonder whatever happened to him :-)
Post by Urbin
I love its seamless open world, the endless storylines that appear all over
the place. Mobs scale with your level, so you can't outlevel areas or quests
which is really cool. NPC interaction is really immersive and there is lore
to fill all your needs. I've made it as far as level 52 and I have seen
maybe half of the world and probably less than a third of the quest content.
Sounds cool, some of that sounds like what I'm enjoying with GW2, the
scaling and storylines, love learning about the lore there.
Post by Urbin
Of course it's a few years old, so while the graphics are pretty impressive
(realistic instead of WoW's comic book style) there are certainly modern
games that look better.
I'm not one who cares so much for graphics quality as much as the feel
of them, for example in many cases I prefer the original WoW character
models - they just had more personality than the new ones. Yes, they
were blocky, but they felt alive! Another thing WoD rushed and made a
mess of, a real shame they're unlikely to fix them now, as people who
like the new models would complain.
Post by Urbin
Post by Catriona R
then I discovered vanilla WoW was playable... 6 months disappeared ;-)
Should you try Skyrim, don't blame me if you loose another 6 months :-)
Hehe :-) I don't dare at present, already got Legion and GW2 to keep
up with... if I run out of stuff to do in Legion (looks like we're in
for another content drought) I'll consider another game, but I only
have 4 classes max lvl, so I have a LOT of class stories to do first
;-) Often wish there were more hours in the day for everything I want
to do hehe.